Body/Linen Sprays

Ok, I am wracking my brains (and calculator) here to figure out how to make a body/linen spray using cyclomethicone and FO, and after doing much research on supply costs, cannot seem to get it to be worth doing and selling retail.If I triple MY cost, folks can go ahead and purhcase cheaper @ BBW! :(

I really wanted to give this a try, but I won't if it isn't gonna be worth it.

Can any of you give me any ideas as to what might be a better way to go w/ these?

I have been looking at 8 oz sprayer bottles, the cyclo., and of course, FO, labels, etc...

Thanks for all the help!!

I thought cyclomethicone was a perfume base - not a body/linen spray base. Why wouldn't you use a body/room/linen spray base instead? You would get 128 ounces per gallon at around $15 which is about 4 times less than a similar amount of cyclomethicone from the place I just checked. I've tried a couple of them and keep going back to the base from KY. I (well, DW) uses 3% for body sprays, 6% for linen/room sprays.

Hi Henryk,

The cyclo can be used for both. So because of the duality of it, that it can be used with just FO and the cyclo being used as a linen spray is not suppose to leave any oil marks or stains like some sprays can. It's suppose to be like a convent multitasker. Just a really expensive one. LOL But your right the other base is cheaper and does look like the way to go....

Hi Sharon,

I know what ya mean about the cyclo and expense! I bought it too and am just selling it at cost to get rid of it cause I hear all the time that it feels oily and people are not that thrilled with it at least around here. I try to tell them that it's not oily it suppose to be that silky feel but they keep going back to the oily thing. It also gets expensive not to mention wasteful figuring out which FOs will mix with it and which won't....:rolleyes: talk about waste....I think that I am going to go to the linen spray like Henryk was saying....I thought that using the cyclo would be easier cause you only need the FO and your set for either a linen spray or perfume but....just not working out. Live and learn....:(

cyclo goes a long way and packaging in smaller bottles would probably be best. I never though I would be able to sell it, but I have found that people LOVE body sprays, and if it smells good and feels good, they will buy it. It is also how you market it, need to find the pros to it.

it actually sells pretty well for at at 2 oz, I only charge $6, which is not full retail I think.... I don't have my costs in front of me right now, but I at least get my money back and a little more.

So give it a try, if it works, it works, if it doesn't, well at least you tried. I am glad I did.

I had been using the linen spray and you might want to keep an eye on it.... Carmen told me to go look at mine because she had problems with hers and I did and there was black stuff in the bottom on the bottle! So I had to dump it all. I had only had it on the shelf for around 2mos....don't know how long she did but maybe she'll see this and let ya know...

Ashleigh

I have found on a suppliers site that fractionated coconut oil is also a dry oil. You could cut the cyclo with fractionated coconut oil to save on cost. I found the info here http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html?mmsID=fe9ef9e142216f1a23930b1111e6f642 It is listed as Coconut Oil Fractions Triglycerides of Caprylic/Capric Acid on their site.

Guest EMercier

I would like to know more. I would like to add this to my line. While at work the other day, my co-worker said he went down to the cafe and there was a guy selling candles and bath & body products. He did have body sprays and stated his wife was a bio-physicist and she does everything in her plant. Well, let me tell you, I got right up and went down to see what he had and his stuff was nice. I wanted to see what he did. They don't make candles, they get them wholesale and then re-sell them. The body sprays looked nice. He had a nice presentation, but I tried a lotion and the smell turned my stomach. He said is was all natural!! :cool:

I have found on a suppliers site that fractionated coconut oil is also a dry oil. You could cut the cyclo with fractionated coconut oil to save on cost. I found the info here http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html?mmsID=fe9ef9e142216f1a23930b1111e6f642 It is listed as Coconut Oil Fractions Triglycerides of Caprylic/Capric Acid on their site.

Thank you Candle Man for the info. I may try that since I have a bunch of the cyclo left.;)

Hi all, thanks for all the great info...looks like I have even more to research than I thought! ;)

Henry K, have you used the body/room spray base from KY? If so, have you found that it is compatible w/ B&B safe FO's, and that it stays mixed w/ out shaking?

the price sure is better than the cyclo, and I don't know if i want to get involved with a lot of ratio mixing, as Candleman suggested w/ the fractionated Coconut oil...(but I appreciate the advise!)

As far as what people percieve the cyclo to be silky/ or oily, I can see that that varies, I am guessing that as the spray base is alcohol based(I believe), it is fast drying and not oily feeling.

Has anyone else used this base? :confused:

Of the WYW, KY, and Cocoon FOs I have tried most that I have tried have mixed right away and stayed mixed. There is really no way to know until you try. The key words are "right away". I know some people say to wait a day but IMHO if it mixes in right away I don't have problems down the road. DW has had some for months and there has been no separation or discoloration. The way I do a test is to just put in a bit, maybe an ouce of the base into a spray bottle and add about a gram or two of the FO. If it mixes it will look swirly - like when you add FO to wax. If it won't mix the FO will stay suspended in bubbles - like oil in water. Those we don't use. You can shake them and it will look mixed - but later in the day you'll see the FO floating to the bottom. (I know there are additives you can use to emulsify but for me its too much of a bother - plus I would not want to alter the base and make things toxic for her!)

I usually put in roughly about 7 grams per 8 ounces which is about 3% for body spray. I only use the "heavier" type FOs for body sprays (one of her favorites is "Sultry Angel") because you must use so little to be skin-safe. So, even though things like "cotton" type FOs are nice, they just dissipate so fast at 3%. Those things I use at the higher recommended value of 6 to 8% for room/linen sprays.

HTH

(edited for spelling)

Thank you Henry,

I just e-mailed Vicky at KY, regarding preservative and whatever other info she can give me, although you have just about answered everything for me...now, to find some cheap bottles!

BTW, I have found some locally at Sally Beauty Suuplies, and am off to check those out and maybe save on shipping, although they don't have prices on their web site! :rolleyes:

I think they are nationwide so if I like what I find, I'll post and let everyone know!! :)

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Sharon