C3 - New Batch - Totally Stumped !!

Ok, all you seasoned candle makers who use C3 I could use some ideas. I got a new batch of C3 in and like always I test a new batch for problems. It burns fine, flame is good, wicked scents I have already tested.

The problem is this, after the burn and the wax cools its like it 'blooms'. The surface is rough. I am not doing anything different than I normally do. I have even wicked down thinking, ok, this batch is totally different but it still does the same thing.

Any suggestions ??? I am totally confused on this one, the only time I get a 'bloom' (as I call it) is when I have wicked too big.

Are you sure it's the wax and not the weather changes? I've had some past problems coming back this past week and finally realized that because our weather dropped 20 degrees, I need to move into a more fall/winter routine when making candles again.

Someone else was having problems with a batch of C3, you might want to search and see if it's the same batch as yours. I just got a box that is L7H07 and it seems to be fine...going by memory the batch with problems was L7H01, but please search to be sure!

yes, i remember those threads, my batch is L7H17.

ETA - maybe i shouldn't say 'bloom' cuz some ppl refer to that as frosting.

My issue is this batch of wax won't cool smooth after the burns. kinda lumpy looking like a head of califlower. does this make sense ?

That happens to me with certain fo's and also weather it's cooling too fast after the burn...something that I'm slowly learning to ignore...it bugs me too, but I've had it happen with every soy wax I've tried and certain fo's that just seem to do that. Sorry, I can't help you out here, I've never really found a solution to it reacting after the burns.

I brought home some candles I had left at a local business to sell (exchanged them for different fragrances). When I opened two of them of the same scent, they had grown cauliflowers. I think this was caused by some extra heat during storage. None of the other candles in the flat looked bad - only these two. I would have blamed it on the FO except there were THREE with the same FO and only 2 cauliflowered. I burned them and although they initially looked terrible, they burned quite well and when the melt pool cooled, no cauliflowers. I am not totally sure what caused this because they were not in my possession when they began growing... Perhaps someone set something hot down on those two for a few moments - who knows!

So that's all I know about cauliflowers except that if you look closely, you will see that the cauliflowers are composed of a different crystalline pattern than frosting or the normal wax have.

I would suggest that you remelt them and see if it reoccurs. :)

Thanks for the reply Stella, that definetly gives me something to think about. I made 3 more batches and burned those and they were fine. I am not sure what I did that day but I do remember it was 89 deg , the only thing I can think of is, I turned the a/c on lower than normal and one was by a vent. The other 2 I am not quite sure. Maybe a draft was on them also and they just cooled way too fast. I was in a hurry that day (too many irons in the fire so to speak) so who knows what I did that caused it. I was really worried because I have never had that problem before

The stuff that happens on "those" kind of days frequently shows up in candles! I am surprised I don't wick mine upside down sometimes!:P Generally when something really unusual happens with a candle, I can trace it back to SOMETHING I did or that happened that was different - assuming I can even remember what was going on that particular day...:embarasse It's the small stuff that'll getcha and drive ya crazy! ;)