Need Help- FOs in water fountains??

Mountain_Annie

Hi ladies and gents....

I have a question that I was hoping that you could help me with. I have a customer who wants to purchase FOs for her water fountains. Presumably the type that the water flows through fibers and also has fragranced oils in it. Do any of you know if most of the FOs from the major suppliers are safe for such? If not safe, could you please explain why they *aren't so that I could let her know?

Thanks much in advance!

Mt Annie

Thank you Carrie. I've just spoken with her on IM and she says she uses refresher oils mixed with the water and that's what causes the shimmery oily effect and nice strong scent from the fountain. However...she may be using water-based oils. She doesn't know if her usual refresher is water-based or oil-based. Would you still recommend the hydrosols?

============================

i doubt they would be safe for the simple fact that they are oils and they would not blend well with the water. They would probably just clog up the fibers in the fountain. She may want to use Hydrosols. Those are basically scented water - flower/fruit water. MMS has some

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/Hydrosols.html

I would use the Hydrosols. Look at the list MMS offers, i bet she would like some of those. The only other thing I can think of, is she may be using Essential Oils. These are still oil based, but a lighter oil that regular fragrance oils. But I bet in time they will still clog the fountain. Hydrosols are water based fragrances.

Ok thanks much Carrie. I'll tell her and I'll also have her check out the MMS.

Mt Annie

---------------------

I would use the Hydrosols. Look at the list MMS offers, i bet she would like some of those. The only other thing I can think of, is she may be using Essential Oils. These are still oil based, but a lighter oil that regular fragrance oils. But I bet in time they will still clog the fountain. Hydrosols are water based fragrances.

Hi Carebear, Yes many oils are water-based rather than oil based. :)

Here are just a few:

http://www.craftlobby.com/wafr.html

Mt Annie

==============================

if it's causing a shimmering effect that's the oil floating on water. not good for her fountain IMO, but to each her own.

don't think there is any such thing as a water based oil.

P.S. A lot of the oils sold at Walmart and the Craft/Hobby stores are water-based.

MT Annie

======================

if it's causing a shimmering effect that's the oil floating on water. not good for her fountain IMO, but to each her own.

don't think there is any such thing as a water based oil.

P.S. A lot of the oils sold at Walmart and the Craft/Hobby stores are water-based.

MT Annie

======================

hmmm interesting, it seems that they are diluting the Fragrance Oil with polysorbate. Meh, probably not as strong as pure fragrance oils or essential oils. they also still have a lot of oil in them. i would still go with the hydrosols.

I worked in a Health Club & we mixed a spray for the sauna that was Eucalyptus, Peppermint & distilled water. It was much cheaper to mix it, than buy it from a supplier. Since oil & water won't mix, you have to use an emulsifier. You can use either Polysorbate 80 or 20. It's been too long, so you need to read up on each & determine which would best suit your needs. It's not a problem making a workable solution, but I'd bet the fo would seriously shorten the life of the plastic tubing used in most fountains. A supplier might be able to help you, but I doubt this application is something they have much knowledge of.

Susan.