Ct Classroom-Soap In A Box Beginner's CP

eugenia

I guess I'll just "watch" this one so I can learn how it works. Then I'll be ready for Grumpygirl's salt bar.

Grumpy's class will be advanced, so if you've never made soap before (and quite a bit of it) that class isn't for you and the one E is doing is. There's a big difference between watching and making.

To sit in on class, watch class, interact with class, you'll be participating in this thread come class time: http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60088

I just wanted to say this is a great idea for a class, e!

Hook those newbie soapers, HA. Then they'll be ready for other variations of soapmaking. I will warn you ladies, soapmaking is highly additive.

Even more than candles. :naughty:

Thanks MA. I love helping new soapers. I tried to make it as simple as possible and there are many pics. This recipe will soap with a whisk, guaranteed.

For any of you who were afraid to try, now is the time. It will be like someone holding your hand.

e

Both are solid fats. Lard is pig fat. Crisco is hydrogenated soy & cottonseed oil. They do NOT perform the same in soap, and I believe each requires a different amount of lye.

Lard is generally available in grocery stores. It is sometimes near the bacon & hot dogs on refrigerated shelves, but since it doesn't need to be refrigerated it is often elsewhere. You may have to ask where it is The brand I see 99% of the the time is Armor and is a green and white container - looks like a butter box. Wax*Mart also has buckets of the stuff (yum) on the bottom shelf in the cooking oils area.

BTW - because of its melting point, chocolate cookies made with half lard (and half butter) stay nice and high instead of flattening out so much during the cooking)