Minimum purchase for credit sale?

Georgia

Does anyone have a minimum purchase requirement for accepting a credit transaction? I saw a lady today had a sign on her table that she accepted credit cards with a minimum $15 purchase. I was thinking about this because I had a lady use her charge for a $5 order. (Her friend had cash and was a bigger spender!) On one hand, I probably would have lost the sale if I had a minimum purchase, but on the other hand, the fees on a $5 credit sale are pretty high.

How do you handle this?

Oh, yeah, 45.5 hours without a cigarette.

Visa's and MasterCard's regulations prohibit minimum charge amounts.

If a person reports you to Visa/MC, you could possibly lose your merchant account with them if they want to be jerks about it.

I love it when I go to a store, need milk and bread, no cash on hand, and then they tell me I can't charge something because of their minimums...

When I tell them that I will report them to Visa/MC and want the manager... They change their tune real quick..

To answer your question....

I do not charge minimums..

If they want to charge $5.00.. Then I just take it with a smile:D .

I Have a $25.00 Minimum For Charge Purchases and have never once had someone question it. I do Craft shows and call in all of my cards on the spot, due to numerous cases of rejected cards. It's simply not worth my time to call in for such a small amount.

You always have the right to refuse to accept any non-cash form a payment from someone, including checking the bills for counterfit. You do not have to accept a check or credit card from someone who you think may be making an attempt to give you a bad cc number or a bad check.

Islandgirl is correct. You cannot require a minimum for credit card purchases. If you have a minimum order requirement, it must be for all forms of payment (cash, check, charge) or no minimum at all. We've had 3 different merchant services providers and all 3 have had this clause in the contract. It only takes one person who knows this to complain...

To Clarify,

YOU always have the right to refuse payment from someone. YOU OWN The goods you are selling and you have the right to decline a sale at ANY point. How far you will go to protect your rights is your own decision. I have been the victim of someone who used their own credit card to make a purchase and then had "buyers remorse" and filed a chargeback. The credit card companies back the buyer.. remember that when you take a card. Thats why those who accept cards get fees when someone can't remember that they charged something. This was brought up recently, Protect YOUR own RIGHTS and allow charges as you see fit.

I use propay and wait until I get home to put the credit card number through. I do get their phone numbers now. I have only had 3 been declined in the past 2 years, and one was my fault. The other was $3 and I should have known better... the last one was from a Dr and I got her number and she gave me a hard time when I called and said the cc number didn't go through. Don' t worry she is now on my list and I will not accept credit cards from her again. I have thought about bringing my laptop to the Farmer's Market with me to process the credit cards, but just haven't made the move yet. It's sad when someone stells from you, and that is how I look at it.

Cindy:(