Question for Soy Candle/Lotion Makers..

Is there anyone on this board who makes candles and markets them as a candle AND lotion with actual instructions on the jar for using the wax as a lotion? My sister-in-law brought me one over the weekend that she picked up from a craft show just because she knew I would find it interesting, which I did LOL. I am only assuming this is soy wax, since I've seen different posts in the past about being able to use soy wax like that. Anyway..does anyone on this board market their candles this way?>

I don't market my candles that way in fear that someone would get burned. Also you have to make sure that the scents you are using are skin safe.Which with all the different scents it is just to much to think about. Plus with marketing your candles this way you could be opening yourself up to a law suite because of the hot wax and people getting burned. Look at the woman that sued McDonald's because she got burned from their coffee.

If you are considering doing this make sure that you have insurance and a good lawyer. Just to be safe!

Ditto the liability issue, it's just not worth it to me. And honestly, at the risk of sounding like a total snob, to me, it's a marketing ploy that is going to get old really fast. It'll have a moment in the sun, and then everyone will be on to the next new thing. You know how it is with that kind of thing.

Instead, I just add some soy flakes to my lotion and market soy lotion separate from the candles.

LOL Ladies..Oh don't you worry, I'm not even remotely thinking of doing this! I just wanted to know if everyone did it, and if they were all the same. This candle in question was scented peach. It smelled good. Scent throw even for the couple of minutes that I burned it was pretty decent. But I followed the directions on the jar which said to let it burn long enough to melt some wax, then dip your fingers in and scoop it out, rub it on the skin and TaDa! So..let it burn for 2 -4 minutes..I think I let it go almost 5. Dipped my fingers in, scooped it out, rubbed it on and it was horrid. Very very greasy feeling. Not at all waxy though, which is what I initially expected. But you could see the shine on my hands and forearm, and it felt awful. So...it made me wonder if that was how all of the soy candles were when used in this manner, and how anyone could possibly hope to have return sales after selling someone something like this? I'm not a soy candle maker, so I wouldn't have a clue. Just thought I'd ask the resident experts! ;)

I had a customer ask if my candles were the kind that they could dip in the hot wax and rub into their skin. Now I know what they were talking about. I told them they weren't (I was using J223 at the time) and mentioned that I didn't see any reason to mess up a perfectly good candle anyway. Imagine if you kept dipping into the melt pool? You'd end up with a tunnel no doubt and waste alot of wax?? :tongue2: People are funny - always looking for a gimmick to fall for! :)

I was doing a craft show once and a lady said that a candlemaker there let her put some of the candle wax on her hand.I said OH that must have been hot.No, it was fine and not hot at all.She said feel my hand it is so smooth.Well I am not sure but didn't trust this situation for some reason.I would never do this and let my customers try it.That was the first time and think it may have been to see what I thought.

If they want a candle buy a candle.If they want lotion buy lotion.What if they do melt the candle and being told this put it on the hands then there will be BIG problems.Also like someone said Not all scents are skin safe.Seemed to me that the candle the lady mentioned was a cinammon or real spicy scent.I had alot of questions about this and really was floored.

LynnS

LOL, well I definately wouldn't be able to burn the candle very many times..I had everyone else dipping into it too so I could be sure it wasn't just me who thought it felt greasy. It looks like heck now..all goobered up! I have to say though..once the flame was out, the wax really wasn't hot at all. But it felt kinda like using some sort of vaseline product for lotion. Kinda made me wonder if since it really IS wax, if it would clog the pores??

I had some women ask me at my last craft fair if my wickless soy candle could be used as a lotion. I told them I had heard of that, but that I wouldn't recommend it. They said they had tried one at another craft fair that could be used as a lotion, and asked if they could try my wickless candle that I was demonstrating. I knew that the fragrance was skin safe, and that my wickless candles don't get hot enough to burn on my illuminating warmers, so I said they could try it if they wanted to. I was curious myself. They each dipped a finger in and rubbed it into their hands, and then told me that it wasn't anything like what they tried before. They said my wax was "waxier feeling" and didn't absorb completely like the other stuff. I don't know what they tried before, but it wasn't my soy wax apparently. I was glad that I had some baby wipes along, and handed them each one to clean off their hands. I personally think it is a bad idea. I agree with LynnS, if they want lotion, buy lotion.

Ya know, just what you don't need is some kid coming along and seeing mom dipping her fingers into hot wax. Good Grief!! What the heck are ppl thinking!

Sounds waay to dangerous to me. Certain places a person's hands just don't belong...add that one to the list!