To Cover, or Not To Cover????

Thanks Michele. I sort of figured that!

Here is another question for you?

Did you ever have an issue with a build-up of wax or grease on the walls or ceilings of the room you used for candle making because of evaporation or whatever from the pot? My wife seems to think that might be an issue, and if it is..............its off to the basement I Go:o

I don't cover - too risky for me. I gently stir the wax (without touching the sides or bottom) and take the temperature before I get the wax out - every time I take wax out. On and off so many times with the glass lid - with my luck I'd drop it!

No, I haven't noticed any wall or ceiling problems just from melting the wax.

Hi Don,,I only cover my presto's if Im not using one and only keeping it on warm and the one Im using that day doesnt get covered at all until Im done for the day. HOWEVER dont forget to TURN them off,,ask me how I know:o LOL,,,I have 3 prestos so far and getting ready for another one woohoo. I do put the covers on all of them at night to keep dust out of them since I live in a small country town with cornfields being harvested and Dust everywhere. As far as residue on the ceilings and walls no problems there either. After I read that I actually went to check it out as I have set-up my lil shop in my computer room and I dont need my computers getting sick either,,LOL,,,,:laugh2:

Thanks Sharon,

My pot will be plugged into a wall outlet that is controled by our kitchen light switch. I am a MAJOR freak about leaving lights on that are not in use, so even if I forgot to turn off the pot, I would NEVER leave the light on!! So I guess I'm safe there. Thanks again....

I use my covers continuously also to keep out debris. The only time the pot is uncovered is when I am bringing the wax up to the highest temp - even then, if I am in a hurry, the cover goes on to speed up the melting process. Just do NOT leave the cover on unattended! If I have to "hold" the wax on a low temp for a bit, I put a spoon or stirring stick in so that the cover does not fit tightly. HTH :)

Guest Candelishis

My lids don't come off unless I'm adding wax to the pot. I'm in the basement, and I don't want dust or anything getting in there. I have spigots on all my prestos, and I use mainly 464, so I don't even check my temps until I put the melted wax in my pouring pot, because 464 can be poured pretty hot, so if I get impatient, I usually only have to check the temp twice. When it first comes out of the presto, and when I add my FO.

Thanks Everyone!! Really appreciate all the great input.:D

Someday when I get really smart...I can give advice as well:tiptoe:

LOL I lurked for a long time before posting, then jumped in. I felt useless because I had no advice but slowly but surely I got to where I could give advice on things. You might be surprised at the advice you can give already :smiley2: