I witnessed an "exploding" melt today

coconut

Just wanted to share this. I made a melt (IGI 4794) in the common round fluted tart shape, one ounce size. Put this in a Yankee brand tart warmer. The bottom of the melt is flat and the bowl is concave. As the wax melted from the edges, evidently a tiny air bubble was trapped under the flat bottom of the melt. It heated up and as I passed by, I saw a tiny explosion come out the side from under the melt. The wax was contained because the bowl is deep so I do not see this as a problem but I thought shows that it may not be a good idea to make too large of a tart/melt. I also make wickless candles with 4630 but have never seen this happen with them. Also, I have not seen this happen with melts in my tealight warmer or when I put a melt in a bowl on the candle warmer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Probably more of a design fault and if it didn't even make it out of the burner, I wouldn't think of it as exploding. I wouldn't use that burner anymore or make sure you had it somewhere that if wax did splash it wouldn't damage anything.

I have used that size of melt for I don't know how many years and never had a problem, never had a concave melter though.

Probably more of a design fault and if it didn't even make it out of the burner, I wouldn't think of it as exploding. I wouldn't use that burner anymore or make sure you had it somewhere that if wax did splash it wouldn't damage anything.

I have noticed that this burner heats unevenly-one side melts faster than the other side. It is also rather slow to heat up. I had a very hard time finding an electric warmer in my area and had to settle for this Yankee model and it was rather expensive. Does anyone have a favorite electric warmer? Thanks!

Does anyone have a favorite electric warmer? Thanks!

I have been electric tart/candle warmer shopping this week, after my cozy up cracked completely in half, both ways. Nothing available in my local area at all. I think they stopped making the Cozy Up.

Anyhow, finally decided on this:

http://www.babyfeathersonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=621

Its ceramic. 24 watts, Minimalistic, which is what I wanted, and the blue lights totally sell it for me. Will let you know how I like it.