Sap value of soy wax

Dana

I have been searching for the sap value of soy wax but can't find it anywhere! I wanted to switch the PKO flakes with soy wax in a CP recipe and need to know the properties and such. Has anyone ever tried this? Thanks for any help!:)

100% soy wax is hydrogenated soybean oil. SAP= 0.136 (average) like all 100% soy oils. Hydrogenation increases hardness but decreases conditioning and lather. I prefer it to stearic acid most of the time now when I need to harden a recipe up a bit, though stearic acid has its own plusses (very very hard, tons of creamy lather).

I researched this a couple months ago and would cite my sources (on SAP) but it was on my old laptop which has been reformatted and now belongs to my sister in law. Sorry… but you can no doubt find the info for yourself by searching “soy wax history about” (I think those were the key words I used).

I wouldn’t trade soy wax for PKO unless you want a completely different soap. Their properties are very different.

As a general rule, hydrogenation of an oil doesn't change the SAP value by very much, if any. Hydrogenation is replacing double bonds with single bonds and hydrogen, and that's in a different spot on the triglyceride from where the NaOH splits the molecule.

Let us know how the sub of wax for pko works out.

Thanks guys, I will go back to MMS for the sap value. I didn't know soy oil would be the same as soy wax flakes. I just thought since I have 28 cases of soy wax sitting here, and I am out of PKO flakes, I would experiment. Hey, when ya get the urge to make soap, you use what cha got! If I remember, I'll let you know how it goes!:D