What wax has a shorter cure time?

Hi All,

I would like to know if there is a wax that has a shorter cure time than 2 weeks? I am using all 3 EL waxes now and the more I use it the more I am starting to not like it. I want to use it because the supplier is in my city but it's not working for me. And it's taking more than 2 weeks for me to get a hot throw from the candles. The cold throws have been awesome but the hot throws haven't.

I have made several candles with different FOs from different suppliers and I haven't had a strong hot throw in any of my candles yet. After 2 weeks or more, the hot throw is barely leaving the candle area. It stays in a small area around the candle. My tarts turn out fine but the candles don't. It takes well over 2 weeks for any hot throw to come and I would like something that I can cure and test within like 3 days or so, so that I will know if the candle is going to be good enough to sell or use.

I used NG's Joy Wax candlemaking kit and the candles came out great! The cure time was about 2 days and the hot throw was out of this world. Can someone please help me. Also, if you use EL wax do you add anything to it to help the throw?

Thanks

Veronica

Well first Joy wax is a soy with paraffin added I have heard wonderful things about that wax. You might just want to try adding a bit of paraffin or beeswax to you EL and see if that helps.

How much FO are you adding? What kind of wicking for what jar? Those might also be things you need to look in to.

Well first Joy wax is a soy with paraffin added I have heard wonderful things about that wax. You might just want to try adding a bit of paraffin or beeswax to you EL and see if that helps.

How much FO are you adding? What kind of wicking for what jar? Those might also be things you need to look in to.

Hi Vicky,

I was using 1oz. per lb. but I moved it up to 1 1/2 per the EL supplier. I am using 51-32-18 for my 1/2 pint canning jars. I get a full melt pool! The Joy Wax was awesome. I would use that wax if they were closer and if shipping wasn't so expensive.

Thanks

Veronica

First thing I feel like I am talking to my sister her name is Veronica.

Now back to wax. I know I am going back to basics but at lot of time if you take it back to the beginning problems are some times solved. Your wicking seems right for that jar and FO load now let look at how you are mixing your scent. What temp are you mixing at? I like to mix my FOs at about 165 to 170 even if I don't pour till around 100.

Are you adding anything to the wax right now or is just straight EL?

I'm not your sister so it's ok...LOL

Anyway, I am adding the FO at 180-165F at different times. One thing that I am not doing anymore is pouring at 100F. My supplier said that since we are in Florida we should pour at a higher temperature because of the humidity and things of that nature. Should I try pouring at a lower temperature?

I really want to use this wax because she lives 7-8 mins away from me and that saves me a lot on shipping costs. I know you know what I mean! Thanks so much for your help. I am very grateful!

Veronica

I understand you are wanting to keep your cost down and the ease of her being close is just to good to pass up.

Pouring temp will not effect the scent throw. Mixing temp does though. Have you had someone else burn your candles? Are they getting the same pour scent throw? Have you thought about changing the room you burn them in you may be having to many drafts? Is it possible that you have candle nose?

Sorry for so many questions but I want to see what is happening first before I start to tell you to add things for a better throw.

I haven't had anyone burn the candles for me. I guess that I can do that. What do you think would be a good temp to mix at? I have only burnt 1/2 lb. or 1 lb. for testing because I don't have a presto and I didn't want to waste too much wax at one time. SO could that be a problem also with getting a right temp?

I am now leaving the thermometer inside my pouring pot when it gets close to time for me to take it off the heat. I was thinking that maybe I am not getting the right temperature from my thermometer because it says to put the thermometer at least 2 inches into the candy or fryer (whatever :o)

It will definitely save me a lot of money on shipping but I don't want to waste that extra money on testing a product that might not work for me...LOL! Is there something that I might need to change? Thanks!

Veronica

Your mixing temperature is fine as long as you are between the temperatures you stated. I personally always hated the candy thermometer went digital years ago but that is because I have a bad habit about breaking those lol.

When are you burning for the first time? the next day or are you waiting a week?

Now is the time to make a decision do you want to use this wax and make it work or do you think you need to move on?

I have seen you post in the other side about paraffin so using 100% soy doesn't seem to matter so if I was you I would look towards a good parasoy that is going to give you more of what you want than straight soy and you will find if you look some supplier fairly close to you.

Or you can even create your own using EL then just have your paraffin shipped in.

Hi Mrs. Scurry,

I can get a great throw in 24 - 48 hours with Calsoy CB-3. I do shop around quite a bit for oils that throw well in soy. There are very few oils that take longer. Usually, if it takes longer, it's not going to be a good one anyway. There are some others on here that use the Calsoy CB-3 and they will either confirm this or may think differently about the cure time for the CB-3 but this has been my experience, and I have a hard nose to please. :D There are some FO's that do not throw well enough, but not too many and this is very common with soy. When the FO's are the right oils the throw is awesome! :)

Good luck and keep testing!

~Holly