Candlewic soy

So I'm a little worried that I've seen maybe 1 or 2 people that use soy120 or soy125 from Candlewic. Is there a reason that nobody uses them? I'm fairly new to candlemaking, however I've purchased quite a bit of wax from them. Shoot, I've purchased quite a bit of everything from them. What am I missing that you all purchase from every place but them?

Thanks,

Chris

Can't exactly answer your question!! I buy my soy pillar wax from them. I've never tried their soy container wax. I am looking for a new wax to switch to and stay with. I assume you like theirs. My biggest issue is frosting. I don't mind a little, but my candles are frosting horribly, one jar of pumpkin pie turned white all on the bottom! :mad:

Maybe Candlewic is too honest.

When you pop up the product data sheets, the descriptions of the soy container waxes don't make you want to hurry up and buy them. The stated scent retention is low and additives are recommended for best performance, such as for instance 10-20% stearic.

On the other hand, hardly any other soy wax works all that well as sold either. They just don't say so outright.

Maybe Candlewic is too honest.

When you pop up the product data sheets, the descriptions of the soy container waxes don't make you want to hurry up and buy them. The stated scent retention is low and additives are recommended for best performance, such as for instance 10-20% stearic.

On the other hand, hardly any other soy wax works all that well as sold either. They just don't say so outright.

I emailed them about the retention a few years ago...they said it is capable of holding more(9-10%) , but that is the manufactures recomendation, and that some oils are heavier than others.

I have a hunch it is from Golden Foods, but I'm not positive. I use the soy 125 from them. I have seen batches fluctuate in burn. Last year I could use a cd 10 in my jelly jars, this year I'm using 12's in many scents. That is frustrating. But since it is a natural wax it will change from batch to batch.

I add 10% parafin, I get very little frosting. I also pour hot. I color.

I don't think their soy is much different from any other. Thats my opinion.

I have not found many scents from them that I love. Hope that Helps.

:)

Thanks everybody. I'm guessing I just have a lot of learning to do. It is quite frustrating. Not much of anything has turned out yet. So, I keep trying different things. I figure I'll figure it out before I die...that is if I live another 100 years.

Marilyn, I don't get frosting on the bottom of my jars, I get it on the top edges!

Thanks again,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the low price and cheap shipping, I figured I should check out Candlewic soy wax, so I threw some Soy-125 into my last order. I was kinda hoping their literature undersells it and maybe it's some secret bargain.

Now they do kinda make it sound like it may not work well without additives, so at the last moment I decided to let it just set up in the pot instead of pouring, to see what I'd get. The result was a moonscape, with gaps in places where it looked crystalline underneath. Damndest thing, but when I melted it down again I found that the whole interior had crystallized. Never saw the likes of that.

Well they recommend 10-20% stearic so I tried it with 15% and poured at 140 into a tin. Instead of a moonscape I guess you could say I got scar tissue with zits. Photo attached.

I guess I"m going to put this wax away for now. It's just kinda weird. When I have time maybe I'll try using it to cook up my own parasoy blend but I don't think there's anything I can do with it for my current purposes.

post-710-139458384077_thumb.jpg

How is the hot and cold throw with this wax?????
Dunno. Once I got through test-pouring it I decided I didn't care. :)

Too unsightly for serious consideration in my brief experience. One additional thing I didn't mention is that I tried to heatgun the tin illustrated below. I got oatmeal -- yet another repulsive result.

Thanks for the help Top....it seem like you are the go to guy on a lot of stuff! I tried the 125 with 12.5% palm stearic and got a decent looking top. but after burning however, the top seemed to grow a bit. I'm thinking of upping the percentage of stearic, trying it with beeswax, and in the end if it doesn't work I guess mix it with parrafin. otherwise, what am I going to do with 50lbs of 120 and 50lbs of 125? :shocked2:

Yikes you sure got a lot. I was content with a 5 lb bag just to see if it works.

Anyway I'm sure the stuff isn't useless, but other blends are just so much more refined off the bat that I don't feel it's worth messing with the stuff. The fact that I'm working on an all-veggie product now constrains what I can try too.

I put it in the classifieds (along with the C-3, heh) but if nobody buys it maybe I'll use it as raw material some day for that paraffin blend.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post, but I was reading up on soy and came across this thread. I don't do straight soy, but I do use the soy125 to blend with J223 in my containers. It has drasticly improved the look of my candles! I use an 80/20 (223-125) mix, and the soy125 gets rid of the wet spots. It doesn't adhere--in fact, it does the opposite. It completely pulls away, as does the J300 and the R9798 victory blend. It only slightly compromises the scent throw, which in my opinion is still excellent at 6% and far superior to J300.

Just my 2 cents...thought I would share!

Jenn