Old Double Boiler

Henryk

Hi all,

I got this white/red old 1950's style double boiler for a couple bucks for when I do just a candle or two. Don't mind the heat and humidity in the winter! Absolutely no cracks at all except the inside bottom of the inside pot feels a bit rough - like very fine sandpaper - like if the enamel is worn off. It doesn't look any different than the rest of it though. Guess its OK to use right? I assume just because the enamel is a worn off doesn't mean it that will contaminate the wax. The only thing I'm thinking of is it may stain or absorb FO if I add it directly to the pot - so I guess I'll avoid that.

• 2 months later...

The steam in my Revereware double boiler escapes all around the sides when at a rolling boil. It does NOT seal and does NOT build up enough pressure to cause a significant rise from 212° and makes a dang mess, until it boils dry, which is why I don't use double boilers.:wink2:

I have an old presto pressure cooker that the handle broke on I use, I put one of those vegetable steamer baskets in the bottom, fill with water, and use my pour pot to sit in it and melt the wax for when I need to just do a couple. Works real good.

This is one of those thick, heavy ones like they made probably 38 or so years ago.

grama, we must have the same old stuff!:laugh2: I have an old broken one that I use for the same thing, except I use big ol' washed-out veggie cans in the water. Somehow, I just can't totally get away from using washed out veggie cans... I used to use my el cheapo enamelware water bath pot, but it finally got a leak in the bottom (I artfully discerned this when it put out the fire on my gas stove:shocked2:)... So now, I mix potting soil with it...:rolleyes2 The old spaghetti cooker was useless, though. It's so tall and narrow, it only holds one giant can., which is very close to Presto pot size sooooo... I'll have to find something for it to do outside. :D

Once a packrat, always a packrat...:o

Stella - Do not let my DH hear you say pack rat. He thinks I am the worse. But you never know when you will wind up using "stuff":D My pressure cooker stayed in the attic on a shelf for a lot of years before I discovered a use for it and I am sure before I kick the bucket I will find a use for all my "junk":cheesy2: :cheesy2:

Maybe it a "southern gal" kind of thing