What wicks for 8oz square mason?

I have been using these jars for three years now and stupid me, I can't remember what wicks I got the very first time I tried these, I acually started with a soy kit from Jens natural blends and don't know what the wicks were. The wicks I used last year I was not happy with. Any help would be great.

First off you should always keep good notes on everything you do. But to answer your ? we will need to know what type of wax your useing.

I have been using these jars for three years now and stupid me, I can't remember what wicks I got the very first time I tried these, I acually started with a soy kit from Jens natural blends and don't know what the wicks were. The wicks I used last year I was not happy with. Any help would be great.

CB~ Ya know, I've been meaning to ask you...I just started using the 8 oz sqaure masons, I am used to pouring in the widemouth JJ's, I am noticing that I get more soot w/ the masons, any solution to this? (wicking same as you do, of course!;) )

I know these have more of a "neck" and therefore are catching more of the burn than the widemouths...

Hey Sharon ... soot can definately be a problem with those dang 8oz mason jars. :angry2:I had to add less fo to the wax, I used to add 1.25 - 1.5 oz of fo per pound of wax, now I only use oils that throw well at 1oz per pound. Also, the wick has to be trimmed before each burn ... CD wicks mushroom alot for me, that can cause sooting too. Oh yeah, I also stopped using dye.

By the way, are you getting your jars from Fillmore? That's were I get mine (great prices and no shipping) ... I'm taking a trip there on Friday. :D Maybe I'll do some sniffing since they carry fo's now.

Hey Sharon ... soot can definately be a problem with those dang 8oz mason jars. :angry2:I had to add less fo to the wax, I used to add 1.25 - 1.5 oz of fo per pound of wax, now I only use oils that throw well at 1oz per pound. Also, the wick has to be trimmed before each burn ... CD wicks mushroom alot for me, that can cause sooting too. Oh yeah, I also stopped using dye.

By the way, are you getting your jars from Fillmore? That's were I get mine (great prices and no shipping) ... I'm taking a trip there on Friday. :D Maybe I'll do some sniffing since they carry fo's now.

CB~ I am getting my jars from CS, their prices and shipping are VERY reasonable! Never checked Fillmore's prices...

Carrie~ What exactly do you do when you twist the wick??

Carrie~ What exactly do you do when you twist the wick??

I take a pre-tabbed, coated wick and twist it, the wax that is coating the wick, keeps it from unwinding. I twist it just enough so that it is twisted all the way up but not over twisted where it starts bunching up. I secure the tab to the glass, then use a craft stick like this to hold the wick in place on the top of the jar. :cool2: When the candle is burned, it slowly unwinds as it burns down, thus making sure the melt pool is burning even on all sides and the wick doesnt just bend to one side only.

websticks.jpg

I have found that twisting a wick makes a difference IMO. I tried twisting before I glued the wick in the jar and that didn't work out so well (sometimes the wax on the wick would break). Now I twist my wick after I have poured the wax then I secure to my wick holder. Not sure how everyone else does it but I just discovered this awhile back and it works for me.

I have found that twisting a wick makes a difference IMO. I tried twisting before I glued the wick in the jar and that didn't work out so well (sometimes the wax on the wick would break). Now I twist my wick after I have poured the wax then I secure to my wick holder. Not sure how everyone else does it but I just discovered this awhile back and it works for me.

yeah i find the wax on the wick sometimes cracks too. but i dont find that this causes any problems with the burn or anything. so i'd rather just do it before i pour.

• 7 months later...

I just came across this post now.....I know it is from 2005 but I'm new hear and just read, read, read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just going to try out the cd's because I'm thinking of changing from htp to cd and heard it was a great double scent thrower and it was just such a great wick....Now I read this post and it says it "mushrooms" a lot??????Now I'm getting disgusted....I find the htp to be a great wick and yes it does mushroom at times and you have to clip, clip, clip....so was looking for another type wick...I had heard the cd will smoke a bit, but I think all candles do....but now produces a lot of mushroom? Geesh.....now I feel like I'm back to square 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trappeur

Jeeze, you wouldn't have to go back that far to discover that CDs 'shroom just like other wicks do. ;) This is a common wick problem that spans many types of wicks, according to the range of complaints from members. To reduce this problem, it's important to learn how and why it happens, then try to eliminate those how's and why's from your candles. ;)

Studying wicking can help...

Here's a link to the "All About Wicks" page from the manufacturer of CD and CDN (Stabilo and Stabilo KST) wicks. Good discussion there with photos and illustrations.

Most commonly available wicks have descriptions here...

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/candle_wicks.php

And/or here...

http://www.wickit.net/products.html

Hi Candlebuddy...I'm trying the jelly jars out too....I just bought a dozen of them at Food Lion a couple of days ago which is a grocery store here for 6.39.....(no shipping!)...I also saw them after at the Dollar Store for 4.99 for a dozen...But I had already bought them....Check out a feed store too....they should have them...Also check Home Depot and Walmart.....Saves on shipping....

Just some thoughts.

Trappeur

Hi Candlebuddy...I'm trying the jelly jars out too....I just bought a dozen of them at Food Lion a couple of days ago which is a grocery store here for 6.39.....(no shipping!)...I also saw them after at the Dollar Store for 4.99 for a dozen...But I had already bought them....Check out a feed store too....they should have them...Also check Home Depot and Walmart.....Saves on shipping....

Just some thoughts.

Trappeur

They are probably looking for the one's with no stamp on them. The smooth sided which look a whole lot better, IMO.

I use CD wicks and get very little mushrooming. It may be the soy thing.

Hi Fire!

Oh, maybe they are...lol Well just in case they aren't, they have flowers on them...lol

Yep, to each their own as far as style goes too..Me, personally, I like the jars that say Ball, or Atlas (vintage). I'm working on a collection for myself to sell in this type look as it caters to the country folks around here..Lot of farmers here! lol I just bought real cheap the vintage blue colored glass jars with the embossements of Atlas, Ball..Just trying to think of what I'm going to put as an embellisment for a tye on them like some pieces of lace or checked fabrics and little tiny floral prints....Just fiddling around...I guess its all in the fun of the candle world...lol

Trappeur