Question about Soy/Veg Wax

I use the Calsoy CB3 and have gotten a lot of help so far. I think I recall someone saying the with the soy/veg blends you can pour any temp. I notice they do come out beautiful as far as color and smoothness go, but the tops sink a bit in between the wicks and the wax cracks around the wicks. Will I need to cool down a bit to prevent this or can I do something else to prevent that? I think I saw the stearic acid helps with that. Any experience with anyone using it on a soy/veg wax?

Thanks!

Hi Vicki,

Yep, I get the same thing. Drive me nuts. :undecided Other than that and some frosting at times, this soy wax is awesome. I have been meaning to try the stearic acid but just have not gotten around to it. I have been poking relief holes to make sure there are no air pockets underneath that dip and using the heat gun. The tops do not turn out as smooth as they are before I poke and heat the tops, but I sure don't want the dip, airline circular crack and airpockets. As soon as I get around to testing it with the stearic acid, I will let you know. Maybe someone else will jump in here and confirm that it does indeed help. :cheesy2: Do you use a modifier additive made for soy or the "Universal Additive"?

~Holly

Forgot to add: I pour around 130. If I pour hotter the tops are not as smooth and I think I get a little more frosting. 130 seems to work the best for my situation. I may try pouring hotter again and see what happens since I have to take the gun to the top anyway.

Hi Jeana,

I forgot to ask Vicki what temp she pours at. It seems like if I pour cooler than 130 (or sometimes 129/128) the tops are not as smooth. I know others on here that use this wax pour at 125 with great results. I guess it can be different for everyone -- what kind of jars, environment, how warm or cold the working area is, etc. There are so many variables.

I was trying to pour hot about 190 because I thought I could. Last tester, I mixed at 190 and then let cool to 135. There was not a dip this time but the wax is still raised and cracked around the wicks. Do I need to go cooler yet? I'm anxious to get in the shop and try the stearic.

This cooling the wax stuff is a real pain in the "caboose"! :angry2:

I'm used to the J223 and just mixing and pouring at 170 - so easy! I could put out 100 candles in a day easy. I'll have to figure out a system for this. Maybe buy 10 of my big 10 lb aluminum bowls that I use and just fill them mix and then let them all sit and cool and then, pour - pour - pour :)

I was just thinking - wouldn't an automatic thermometer be just the thing for pouring soy? If I could just clip in on the side of the bowl and then it would let off an alert when it reached the preset temperature that you choose. Does someone make something like this?

Probably wishful thinking . . . :undecided