Point me in the right direction for a laser printer

I have a HP 2600n color laserjet I absolutely love. I think after the ringgit to USD conversion it's about $400 or so. It's a bit pricey, but it comes with full ink toners (some laser printers give you "starter" toners that aren't 100% full so it runs out fast then you have to buy new ones) and in 2 years I've only replaced ONE toner (black). The other toners are still 30% in, and I don't exactly skimp when I print. In fact, I'm pretty careless about it.

Loving the quality and the fact that I don't have to worry about waterproofing.

Sadly, it doesn't fax or scan, but well, this is pretty darn cheap for a color laserjet compared to some other models I've come across.

I think quite a few other candletechies have this model too.

Oh hmm... just dug around, and found some not-so-good reviews of the HP 2600n. I personally love mine, but it's something you may want to consider.

http://www99.epinions.com/Hewlett_Packard_Color_LaserJet_2600n_Printer/sec_~opinion_list/pp_~2#list

I have the 3110CN and love it! No problems at all and super printing, especially on clear labels. I find that the quality is so good that I can print ingredients and such in 8 pt and they are legible.

I, too, have the HP 2600n, and love it! There are a few quirks to work around, like having to feed my label paper in through the outside port (and printing on the transparency setting) for them to print clearly. But that's minor compared to the quality of printing I get. My biggest pet peeve is that the outside port doesn't pull my label sheets through perfectly straight all the time. So I have to use full sized sheets, and then trim to size. Since I've been doing this for years, it's not too big of a deal, but it would have been nice to use precut labels from some of my more frequently used sizes. Oh well... I'm pretty fast with my paper cutter these days.

If you are going full color, the Dell brand is one to explore.

Check Consumer Reports for the ratings. If you use clear labels of any kind, avoid the HP2600n~ they jam up the printer constantly. This printer, IMO-is it not all that it's cracked up to be. My favorite black and white laser is the Konica Minolta. I've had this printer for a few years and it's printed literally 1000's of pages without a hitch. Very low maintenance and it was well under 100.00- best investment for printing shipping labels I ever made.

I will probably get a new color laser after Christmas, when they go on clearance.

It definitely won't be an HP.

I just purchased a Xerox Phaser 8560 from Costco Online. They are currently running a special on this printer ...$499.00 for a $799.00 printer. It uses solid ink rather than cartridges and is very heavy duty (85,000 pgs/month). So far I am loving it. It prints 30 pages per minute both in color and b/w. For the price, can't beat it. HTH

When considering a colour laser printer, the cost of consumables must also be factored in....Cheaper printers often cost more to operate...And if you want to print 2 sided flyers does the printer have duplexing?....Some printers will print the 2nd sheet ok without it, however, some make a mess when you try the 2nd page...

I've had a Minolta 2300 for 4 years and love it.

I tried to upgrade to the HP 2605dn and had horrible memory issues with it working with my graphics software.

Returned the HP and got another Minolta, the 5440DL and it is da bomb!

If you print on cardstock (or will) be sure and check out any models you're interested in. Many are only rated for paper weights up to 80#.

Stick with HP for printers unless you can be absolutely sure you can get service for the brand you buy. At my company, we have thrown away other brand printers because we can't get parts or service for them in our area. HP makes the best laser printers and our IT staff won't buy any other brand. (Now for inkjets I prefer Canon but that is another story.) Go to HP.com and they have all sorts of tools to help you pick out a printer. Good luck!

If you are going full color, the Dell brand is one to explore.

Check Consumer Reports for the ratings. If you use clear labels of any kind, avoid the HP2600n~ they jam up the printer constantly. This printer, IMO-is it not all that it's cracked up to be.

The Dell 3110 has no issues with clear labels.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! My aunt in law has a Dell and man its a PITA! She has had to return her printer 4 times in the past year to Dell because of issues. Maybe its just the model she has....

I have been an HP user for years after migrating over from being a Lexmark user. Running to Best Buy this week to see a few up close and hopefully make my final decision.

I have an OKIdate 5500 that is wonderful. I lucked out and got the floor modlel for just under $400. I had done a search here on lasers and decided that was the printer I wanted... others had paper jam issues, ink didn't last long or was expensive. The cheapest ink cartridge isn't always the cheapest to print.. have to consider pages per cartridge. Do a search here and note brands that get good reviews.. then price them online and see if you can get other reviews on them. See if a local office shop carries them and ask what they do with floor models. I wasn't planning on buying my printer when I did.. but I knew what I would have to pay if I didn't get it then.

HP for me all the way. I have all kinds of laser printers here but my fav is the 4600. Had it for over 2 years and just had to replace a couple of toners a few weeks ago.. and i print alot.

No matter how cheap your printer is to first buy... its all about how many copies they will make before you have to replace the toners, fuser, drum, and transfer. Each one of these items could cost you over 100.00 to replace and the higher the monthly duty rate of the printer (max pages per month) the less you have to replace these items. (heavy duty is better) I alway always always buy my printers on ebay and have never had a bad deal. I bet you could buy the 4600 printer cheap on ebay right now and I put a hard drive in mine for about 50.00 extra (ebay) and now I can just print from my printer without turning on my computer. I have a 20 gig hard drive that I load my labels, flyers ect and just push the buttons on the front of the pinter to find my "stored" jobs and they start printing right away because you dont have the lag time of the computer sending the job to the printer.

Bruce