Clam Tart Wax HELP!!

Ok.. for all those who have done these.. I need a quick question answered~

What is the best type of wax to make these that dont melt the plastic molds

and which supplier do you get it from that has the best price??

I am on a tight budget and my hubby only allots me so much to put into my "habit"~ :D so any advice you can send my way will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Jenni

kewl! I have not tried the Granular wax so that will be interesting to try.. I will have to invest in a thermometer.. I have a coffee pot that I use in a pan of water to melt my wax in ... savin up for a direct heat melt pot and I am thinking I can get a thermometer at Walmart that will work.. ?? Thanks for the info.. that is a definate something I am going to put in my TO DO thingy's and when my probation is over I may can figure out how to upload pix of how they turn out~lol..

I just love the information pool that is available here.. you guys are just awesome!!! Thanks for making me look smarter than I am on this stuff~HAHAHA

Jenni

I also get tart wax from KY. I can get my wax in a couple days since they are in Mt. Vernon.

A candy thermometer works fine but I prefer a digital. Check out the presto pots at walmart. They are $22 and all I will use to melt my wax. I don't know how I ever survived without it lol.

Ok we tried the tart wax from KY, and we need to do a repour they are all wavy on top. We are pouring at 150 into the clam shells. I hate repouring and have tried everything!!

We have mixed IGI 4794 and J-50, then we tried IGI 4794 and J-223, and then IGI 4614 with J-50.... no success.

This is driving me CRAZY!

We also got some Astro V to mix with J-50 but it looks just like the IGI 4614 and our electric warmers had a hard time melting the wax.

Any suggestions?

I tried pouring the KY wax at both 150 and 165, waves. When we pour the IGI 4794, waves. What temp do you pour the 4794?

So I have had 4 different people tell us the wax they are using and they are not needing a repour. I tried them all and they are always wavy or have dips in the tops.

Does anyone know what we are doing wrong?

Thanks a bunch

I pour at about 165..... can get a little bit of waviness, but this is into a clamshell, and we put a label on the top. It doesn't bother us. I do hit with a heat gun.... on the lowest level from way above (lol) and that seems to help smooth it out.....

HTH

Everyone raves about our tarts, say the scent last forever..... have heard of people not changing out after burning for 3-4 days....

I slowly pour around 165-170 and have never had a wavy top with the KY tart wax (clamshells and tart cups). The ONLY time I ever had a dip in mine is when I had my air blowing full blast in my workshop. It was decided they cooled too fast so I cut the air back some and haven't had a problem since.

Is there a fan/celing fan blowing on top of the tarts as they are cooling? That is the only thing I can think of that may be causing the wavy problem.