Essential Oils in Lotion?

SweetPatoot

k....quick question, I have 100% pure orange essential oil....can I use this in my lotion making? I'm loving this scent and think it'll make some yummy lotion. It doesn't say anything on the label about whether it's skin safe or not. I also have a spectacular smelling 100% cinnamon essential oil, but it says on the label "not for topical use"....meaning, do u suppose, don't use this in your lotions stupid?

:shocked2:

Rebecca

Orange and Citrus oils should not be used in skin applications as they are photo sensitizers.

http://www.naturesgift.com/warnings.htm

The following oils can cause severe sun damage (photosensitivity.): Bergamot, expressed Lime and Rue, very strong, Cumin, Mandarine, Lemon, Tangerine, Orange, Verbena (moderate), Angelica, Caraway, Cassia, Cinnamon Bark, Grapefruit, Honeysuckle absolute, Laurel Leaf Abs., Patchouli (mild), Virginia Cedarwood, Dill weed, and Petitgrain (very mild.)

Rachel is right, the citrus EOs can cause photosensitivity. I have read that the folded ones i.e. the ones with an X at the end e.g. Orange 5X are safer though. Even so, you should not put a lot, maybe something like 1%. As for cinnamon EO, it's supposed to be a skin irritant. I did try it in lotion (for my own use only) as I have a spectacular smelling cinnamon EO as well, and didn't like the result. Oh, the lotion smelled great, but it had an oily feel, which I don't get from other EOs/FOs.