Is my wax ruined? Presto too hot!

I made TWO huge mistakes yesterday. I turned my presto up too high AND then left it on when I left the house!! The battery in my car died and I didn't get home until 5 hours later. (yet another story) The wax temp was up to 220 degrees.:shocked2:

It's 4794 votive wax. Is it ruined? Can I just make some tarts with it? UGH! HELP!

If you didn't scent it and burn off all the scent, it should be fine.

I would just let it harden back up, then remelt at the correct temp, make a few votives (or whatever you were going to do with it) and scent and color as usual, and then test them.. I'll bet they will be fine.

HTH

You should be ok on the wax, if it were that temp for a few days it might break down some. Wax should not become flamable until you hit close to 400F so you were ok on that point also (depending on the wax). I have had 145mp straight wax up to 300F making sand candles and didnt have a problem. Bruce

The only bad thing that happens to straight paraffin at that temperature is that the wax oxidizes and will gradually discolor. That actually happens whenever you melt it, but the rate increases with temperature. I don't know about additives, but there might be a few that would break down and stearic definitely oxidizes.

It takes a while for wax oxidation to become visible but I've managed it by keeping the wax at 190 for multiple sessions. It was still perfectly usable, but there was a slight color shift that you could see. Probably would no longer have been ideal wax for a white candle.

For short periods, 220 will do no harm and can be helpful. That's the perfect temperature to melt certain additives like polyethylene and Fischer-Tropsch. It will also dry out your wax if you get water in it (one of those hazards of hurricane crafting, for instance).