Is paraffin really toxic?

Sorry I didn't put the home page for this site. This is the National Candle Organization. Very informative. It would be a good site to copy off for shows. Then when people ask questions, you can show them what the National Candle Organization says about it. I think that would be more professional, then just telling them what you believe. What cha think? http://candles.org/about_faq.html

Years ago we used to make jelly and melt parraffin to seal the tops of the jars. Now had we been trying to seal the jars with soy shortening, that would have been a different matter.

You could also print out the MSDS sheets for both soy and parraffin and compare them. I just googled them both and then lost the plot. I am sure you can find them again.

Here's another question, sort of along the same line; soy shortening does go rancid, does parraffin?

Soy vs. paraffin has been discussed soooooo many times here on the board. Some VERY heated conversations at that! There is a lot of information on past post using the search if you would like to research it.

Yup I agree! CT should create a separate forum for those who want to dicker about the benefits of either wax. At first I found it interesting... now I am just tired of hearing about the arguments of both... to each his own, right? I prefer the way soy melts and throws, etc.... but that is not to say others won't like paraffin... It all depends on the how (how the candle was made and the FO etc... added)... not the what.

That's my 2 cents..:smiley2:

http://www.violetsexoticcandles.com/

I went to your website and found that you have written some things about soy vs paraffin.

You say that soy burns slower than paraffin. Couldn't you change that to it could?? I have burned paraffin and soy and have seen both of them outlast each other on certain items.

You also say that you don't get allergies from soy candles. Or you wrote something like that. Could you say that some people won't? I know of two people who have had problems with soy candles.

The less soot than paraffin is also not always true.

Just a thought.

http://www.violetsexoticcandles.com/

I went to your website and found that you have written some things about soy vs paraffin.

You say that soy burns slower than paraffin. Couldn't you change that to it could?? I have burned paraffin and soy and have seen both of them outlast each other on certain items.

You also say that you don't get allergies from soy candles. Or you wrote something like that. Could you say that some people won't? I know of two people who have had problems with soy candles.

The less soot than paraffin is also not always true.

Just a thought.

Yup I suppose I could.... that was written long ago and before I found this site. But I frankly do believe in soy. Wording is key though. I'll look into it.

Thanks.

Soybean wax, often referred to simply as "soy wax," is hydrogenated soybean oil. It was created by inventor Michael Richards in 1993, who was looking for a cheaper alternative to beeswax, thus becoming the first wax innovation in the candle industry for over a hundred years. It can be used as a replacement for paraffin wax in the candle, packaging, and medical fiber industries.

As a vegetable wax, it offers a more sustainable alternative to traditional paraffin wax, which is a petroleum product. It provides a boost to agricultural economies, and is generally thought to release fewer toxins into the air when burned as a candle. An indirect environmental benefit of the use of soy wax is its ability to be dissolved with soap and water, thus eliminating the need for toxic solvents.

Its main disadvantage is lower melting point, resulting in candles which deform easily in hot weather and drip readily when burning.

It's been a long passed myth that soy wax is a safer alternative to paraffin and cheaper than beeswax. A soy candle can be just as dangerous as a paraffin.

Because of the addition of chemicals to soy beans to make them into a viable wax, it is generally equal to paraffin and beeswax for biodegradable waxes. Another fact, which is not required to be disclosed by soy wax manufacturers is that almost all soy waxes have some paraffin added in the creation portion. This is also stated in the Michael Richards patent. [1] Significantly, several components listed are chemicals. Paraffin is the most common synthetic wax and is also identified as petroleum based, both of which are mentioned in the patent.

Soy is also listed as a known allergen by the FDA, so if a person has reactions to soy, paraffin can be a safe alternative. Additionaly, as stated in Richards' patent declaration, iodine occurs as well, so people with iodine sensitivity should be cautious with soy wax. Paraffin is used in medical, food, and many other applications.

1. ^ http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6599334.html

Myths of Soy

A common myth with soy candles is the idea that they burn with less soot than paraffin candles. A properly made candle will have very little soot - if at all - with proper upkeep and wick trims, this includes beeswax and paraffin, and many other waxes available. A poorly made soy candle can actually have many times more soot than a paraffin candle.

The popularity of the 'all natural' candle is another misconception, as soy wax also needs to have additives to make it usable as wax. There is no link in the reputable scientific community between paraffin wax and illnesses and/or health hazards. Properly made candles in any type of wax are not hazardous to the common healthy person. Many of the carcinogens listed as 'toxic' from paraffin, your common household appliances emit in larger amounts and they are obviously not listed as hazardous to your health. A popular claim is that these carcinogens can also lead to breathing problems and a large array of other health issues, however the amount any candle emits, even over time is not enough to cause these conditions in average and proper use. The levels emitted are not dangerous, and by some case studies of the amounts of carcinogens needed to cause reactions is 1 million times greater than a candle's emissions. Chances are, you breathe these carcinogens more just by walking outside or operating appliances, than any candle can produce. Many paraffin candles also do not contain the chemicals identified with the carcinogens listed. The top listed carcinogens for all types of candles are also incorrectly labeled known carcinogens. While a few on the list are, many are labeled as - possible and probable. What does this mean to the average person? It means they are not proven yet, and have not undergone the proper testing to label them as 100% for sure, known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy_candle

You also say that you don't get allergies from soy candles. Or you wrote something like that. Could you say that some people won't? I know of two people who have had problems with soy candles. [/qoute]

Yep, allergies are crazy and what you think noone can be allergic to is not in fact true.

My 9 year old scratched his arm open one day near his elbow. I had no bandages so I grabbed one of my OpSites to put on there. Now, opsite or tegaderm is that clear bandage that sticks to your skin, normally used in conjunction with IVs to keep them in place. It is something we also use on skin tears in the elderly and change every 3 days because it helps the healing process better than a bandage. So, the normal train of thought is, here is an item that has no allergens and won't cause an allergic reaction in an individual.

Wrong! The next day my son showed me his elbow, it was swollen 3 times it's normal size, very red and hot to touch with pustules forming all over it. Come to find out, he is very allergic to OpSites/Tegaderms and the doctor was in awe because she had never seen anyone with that type of allergy.

So what you may think as never causing an allergic reaction in people may shock you when you find out it indeed caused one in somebody out there :)

Angi

Soy vs. paraffin has been discussed soooooo many times here on the board. Some VERY heated conversations at that! There is a lot of information on past post using the search if you would like to research it.

I KNOW...here we go again. Mod should just nip this in the bud and refer everyone to the endless debates that have alreay been discussed to no end.

Hey we should something like the tutorials and just have a set pros and cons for each soy and paraffin and leave it at that...:2cents:

When I saw this post I thought "Oh no, here we go again." I just knew this was going to turn into another exchange of verbal insults on both sides of this issue. However, after reading the post above(the one from TheSoapbox) I think that a good point has been made. It is possible that some people could have a problem with soy. There are individuals with soy allergies. As mentioned in the above post, there are things that one would think of as safe but someone somewhere has an alergic reaction to it. I do not remember one single kid when I was in school that had alergic reactions to nuts. Peanut butter was one of the first sandwiches we all learn to make for ourselves. PBJ with crackers was the common snack given at school. Now days nut alergies are very common. I have used both soy and praffin. There are things I like about both but overall I rather paraffin. I just don't believe in bashing one to make a sale for the other.