What oils to use in scrubs?

bunkie68

I'm venturing into the world of sugar scrubs, and was wondering what oils worked best. So far I've tried sweet almond by itself and a mixture of sweet almond and olive oil, and both seemed to do well. What about coconut oil? That's the only other kind I've got on hand at the moment (besides olive - I used the last of my sweet almond), and I'm wondering if it's worth the trying or if I should just wait and order something different.

Thanks for any thoughts!

IMO... any kind of oil you have on hand would work. It depends on your preference. Some oils feel very moisturizing to some people, while it may feel too greasy for others. Try it!!! Let us know how it comes out and feels!!!:D

For myself, I love, love, love sweet almond oil and demerarra sugar! (I also toss in a vanilla bean, the guts of course, and some warm vanilla sugar fragrance. Mmmmm, my favorite scrub!) I am wondering if sunflower oil would work too.....I have a gallon of it to use up somehow. If I give it a try before you do, I will post my results! :D

Are you making it from scratch or using a base?

I'm using a base - haven't been quite brave enough yet to start from scratch. I tried it with the coconut and a bit of olive oil, and it seems to have worked well! I'm having a few people test them out for me, and I'll let y'all know what kind of reviews I get.

I'd go with the cheapest. It's going down the drain anyway. I've used almond, sweet almond, olive, fractionated coconut, safflower and probably several others I'm not thinking of. I will probably stick with safflower or maybe sunflower since they're available in large bottles for cheap.

I'd go with the cheapest. It's going down the drain anyway.

I have been debating on letting this quote go or responding and I feel I have to respond.

If this were the case, why would any of us strive to find the best shower products, scrubs, buy good shampoos and conditioners etc, not to mention the safest for our clients? Based on this statement, just tell them go to Dollar Tree and buy $1 products. After all, it's just going down the drain right?

I strive to find the best moisturizing, exfoliating, cleansing products I can for my clients and they come back because of it.

Sorry but this statement has totally blown my mind :undecided

Jami. I do not sell to customers and neither did the original poster say she does. I make tiny batches for personal use that are finished up long before they have a chance to go rancid. Every oil I've tried, no matter how inexpensive, has worked wonderfully for the way I've used it.

I've already stated that I've used fractionated coconut, olive, almond, sweet almond, safflower and others and they performed equally well. Why not use something less expensive if it does as well as something more expensive? Are you not logical?

Darbla

At the risk of sounding stupid, where do you get a sugar scrub base from :confused: I didn't know there was such a thing...what's in it other than sugar, oil & (perhaps) a preservative? I only use sugar, oil & sometimes jojoba beads b/c I only make it as we need it.

As far as what's best, I guess that would depend on what you need & want from it. I make it for DH using Avocado & Rice Bran Oils. I have my own little stash of mixed oils that include mainly Emu & Meadowfoam Seed Oils along w/ a few others & that works fine for me, but too oily for DH.

Have fun experimenting!

When I started making scrubs I used a combo of mostly soy and a bit of olive oil. To me they felt super moisturizing- but perhaps a bit on the heavy side and I imagined others probably would not like it as I do. The last batch I made I used Safflower, Glycerine and Castor as the main oils and it's so much lighter and yet still moisturizing. In fact I did a test today... one arm with my MK scrub and one arm with my own scrub. The MK arm felt soft but dry, powdery almost. The arm on which I used my own was the same in softness but it felt more like i'd used a quick absorbing lotion. And that's how 'I' prefer it as opposed to the soft powdery. I think if I ever sell my scrubs I would go with the lighter recipie that would be better for a wider clientel. And then I'd probably lable the Soy and Olive based recipie as a more 'succulent, super moisturizing' type.

As far as the quality of ingredients- i'm going to stick my neck out here a bit say that I agree TO SOME EXTENT- but only based on the knowledge that most of the properties that oils and other ingredients have to offer are often not even absorbed by the skin in any significant way UNLESS you accompany it with a specialized ingredient that takes all your ingredients DOWN INTO the skin layers. And I don't think a lot of people use these kinds of carriers that accomplish that. So in that sense, it goes down the drain. But the reason I would prefer to not use $ store stuff is not so much that it isn't that great, but more that- in my mind- it isn't the great FOR me. Chemically speaking. Another way to objectively look at it- We all pretty much know that there is a lot of talk about 'label appeal'. And then you have the experimenters (like me) who don't use something on a extended basis enough to reap it's benefits in any kind of substantial way. Just like many high end wrinkle treatments and such -much of that will only work if you use it for an extended amount of time. I consider myself still new to all this, but I also have always considered myself a smart consumer and have never put much weight in the various marketing techniques. Meaning, I don't buy something SIMPLY because it touts the newest most fabulous 'IT' ingredient at the time. I also don't think that there are many, myself included, who could do a blind folded test and tell one scrub's oil from another. Maybe some of the crafters here on this board could because they are intimately familiar with the ones they use so often in it's pure form. But the general public, my family- they wouldn't. So where as I would not use the absolute cheapest chemical laden slickery stuff I could find, nor would I spend more than necessary to have soft skin. Period. Safflower oil does that just as well as SAO. It's MOSTLY all about preference unless you have specific skin needs. But that is just my own opinion, and again not an expert one at all. I am also NOT saying that Emu and Manoi and all those really luxurious oils are useless. If you love love love it, use use use it and as long as you can afford it, don't let any body tell you you shouldn't. I personally would not require or notice them so to ME they would be a waste and in the same mind set... 'go down the drain'. I just want to slough off the dead skin cells, have soft skin, and use as few chemicals as possible. Call me simple I guess.:undecided :smiley2: