Has Soy Lost It's

I think that people that are health conscious THINK that soy is better for them to burn and they are willing to pay extra and also put up with the soy issues, but for the most part, people are not afraid of paraffin and they love the strong scents. I only make soy, but I burn both. We have alot of health nuts here on the West Coast and the soy does sell pretty well.

Here's the breakdown I see these days with my container candles. All poured with the same FO.

Glass Glow palm is the choice for gifting - just because of the unique look. Soy buyers are looking specifically for the soy. Paraffin is getting credit for having the strongest throw by consumers. Fragrance loading at 6% for palm, 8% for soy and 10% for paraffin. Even if the paraffin users try soy - they come back to the paraffin specifically for the intensity of the hot throw.

Could it be a price difference driving your sales? I don't really think the majority of buyers are dig-in-their-heels committed to a certain wax, but more swayed by appearance, cold throw & containers. I never knew or cared about wax, before I started making them. I feel like a broken record when I talk about soy.

Susan.

I am not sure what the deal is.. I have been selling both soy and paraffin and even offered palm and gel waxes. I still have paraffin outsell soy. I discontinued palm and gel a few years ago because they just weren't selling so it wasn't worth it to pursue them anymore. Now I am just selling soy and paraffin. Now that they are both in the stores I am selling the paraffin like crazy and my soy is sitting on the shelves and barely moving. I am hoping they move before the Fall/Christmas candles come in, but the store is placing an order this coming week and they are just ordering paraffin candles. No soy....I am to the point of stopping soy altogether. It doesn't seem to cost effective anymore...

Think about the fact that there are still tons of people that don't even know what a soy or palm candle is...then place it next to a paraffin candle on a shelf (which in my opinion always has a better CT) with the paraffin at a lesser price or even at the same price and 90% of the people will go for the stronger scented or cheaper candle...it's just human nature. I burn paraffin all the time but I don't make them because I know if I place one beside my soy or palm candles it would kill my sales and I chose to make soy when I started out. What you might consider is making soy a custom order only and put a qty on it so it's worth pouring. I say if you're already making paraffin candles, go for just that and make what sells for you.

I was one that went from parrifin to soy. I almost lost my business because the customers told me they were not strong like before. And that if I did not change back they would not buy from me. I have a pretty good size business. I hear alot of bad comments about soy. They tell me they are just not strong. But there are some that still like the soy. SOOOOOOO, I decided I would do both. I use the 6006, 30% soy. It has an awesome hot throw. When they want soy, I tell them it is a soy blend. When they want parrifin, I tell them it is a parrifin blend. It it true. They are happy, I sell candles, and have no complaints. I think since soy is so hard to work with, some candlemakers had a hard time with it at first. And the customer bought those candles anbd found them to be weak. Now they are leary. They don't want to tell you that your candle is no good. So they jsut buy else where. Once soy gets prefected and everyone gets the hang of it, I think it will change. But for now, get ready. They will go back to the candle that rocks. No matter how much smoke comes out. Bottom line is how much scent it throws when it burns. Some of the top selling candles are very smoky when they burn. Just my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried enough soy candles to say that I would always choose paraffin over soy.

The biggest thing for me about soy is the greasy smoke. I know it sounds horrid as I say it and have never heard anyone else mention it. It's just that every candle smokes under the right conditions.

Such as when you move it too quickly or blow it out. And for flame height soy has much more and greasier smoke than paraffin. I fanatically religiously keep my candle flame between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch so I know its not about not trimming the wick.

My first soy was a Beanpod and I have completely burned at least half a dozen soy candles.

Perhaps the other thing that bugs me as a consumer is so much of that wayyy-over-the-top hype and outright misinformation about how great soy is, that has been touted by almost all the soy sellers on the web at least.

I buy and burn candles more for the cheery enduring flame than actual scent throw. Although I often choose candles for their scent.

I sure dont want to start another soy/paraffin war, just stating my preference and why.

The biggest thing for me about soy is the greasy smoke. I know it sounds horrid as I say it and have never heard anyone else mention it. It's just that every candle smokes under the right conditions.

Such as when you move it too quickly or blow it out. And for flame height soy has much more and greasier smoke than paraffin. I fanatically religiously keep my candle flame between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch so I know its not about not trimming the wick.

Sure, anything that burns creates smoke or soot, but the "greasy smoke" to which you refer is absolutely NOT normal for a well-made soy wax candle.

Moving a candle quickly is not recommended (or particularly wise...) nor is blowing it out! Both things will make any candle, particularly one that is poorly wicked, produce more smoke... :rolleyes2

3/4"? That's a torch!!:shocked2: No wonder it's smokin' like a chimney! I keep my wicks trimmed to 1/4", and they don't "smoke" (greasy, fat-free, low-tar or crack) unless the flame is disturbed by a draft.

I have not noticed that the flame height is any different in a soy candle than it is in palm wax or paraffin or any other overwicked candle!

I have tried enough soy candles to say that I would always choose paraffin over soy.... I have completely burned at least half a dozen soy candles.
Sounds like you haven't burned a good one yet! ;) I have burned a couple of factors of ten more than that and I have NEVER had one burn as BADLY as you describe! If I had, I would have shot it to put it out of my misery! :shocked2:

Or at least trimmed the wick...

the other thing that bugs me as a consumer is so much of that wayyy-over-the-top hype and outright misinformation about how great soy is, that has been touted by almost all the soy sellers on the web at least
Now THAT I can agree with wholeheartedly!! I am sick of having to wear hip-waders when I read some of the 100% all-natural, pure, green, 100% sustainable and, unfortunately, renewable BS on some sites!! If a product is good, you shouldn't have to tell anything but the plain ol' facts about it. People are trying to feeed at the "all-natural" sales trough and it gets real sickening sometimes for sure. I also get real sick of the paraffin whines and defenses I read... not to mention the misinformation, exaggeration and outright lies told by the petrochemical folks who are afraid someone is gonna take some of their share of the profits... and of hearing soy wax candles slammed because some folks like to lump everyone together...

Every kind of wax I have burned has its merits and it is truly a matter of preference, not a competition! I don't think anyone needs to "slam" another type of wax in order to make the kind they prefer seem better...

I will say this: I have burned a heckuva lot more poorly made paraffin candles in my lifetime than I have soy or palm wax... but that is actually an unfair comparison because I've burned paraffin candles for about 50 years longer than I have been burning candles made from other waxes. I'll get back to ya in another 45 years or so...

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I dunno whether soy candles are outselling paraffin and I honestly don't care. Many of my customers don't know the difference and they don't care either - they like the great scent throw and the long, slow burn they get from the candles I make. Me? I simply like soy and palm candles much more than I do paraffin and I don't sell anything I don't like... I make and sell things to standards of which I can be proud - maybe that's what makes the difference. ;)

I sure dont want to start another soy/paraffin war
Where there's smoke, there's fire... ;)

Instead of the SOS argument, why don't we argue about... I mean, DISCUSS... which TASTES better - paraffin or soy or palm? I KNOW I've eaten a lot tastier french fries from tropical and soy oils than I have paraffin... On the other hand, I don't think candy wax lips could be made from soy wax...

but maybe if we added some palm and coconut oil...

and extra stearic... Wonder if paraffin has more trans fat...

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::P:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

The last three candles I have purchased for myself are soy. They all came from different candle makers. I like the way they burn - leaving very little to no soot in the containers. They also burn pretty evenly and I like the throw of all of them although they may not be a strong as they would be if made from paraffin. Really I have no way of comparing the two but I like the soy candle fragrances – Sandalwood, Almond and Rosemary Mint. The fragrance fills the rooms they are burned in pretty well.

I’ve worked with paraffin for about five years with some pretty good business success. I’ve decided to make the switch to soy. I don’t feel the need to offer both.

I also prefer working with soy. My hands are always soft.

Also I noticed nobody’s really mentioned that with the cost of crude oil going up so is the cost of paraffin. Right now my choice paraffin cost more per pound than the soy pillar wax I’m currently testing. Perhaps there are cheaper sources for paraffin around but with the oil situation I think the choice of offering paraffin candles for less than renewable waxes is a thing of the past. Soon the market is going to be the opposite and that’s when the soy and palm preferences in the marketplace will increase. I already see a lot more requests for soy from my customers. I think the real key to successful soy candle sales is sticking with FOs that throw well in soy and finding those is a challenge in itself.

I have never heard of Soy which has a greasey burn to it:confused: Never had any soy do that! I guess it does make a difference on the candlemaker.

My preference is soy. I used to burn paraffin a long, long time ago. But since soy has been out I prefer it and have been selling soy for about 5-6 years now. If you want to try a very good soy candle try this web page, it isn't mine. But I used to sell for this company and still do on ocassions. www.whipcitycandlecompany.com they are awesome!!:D

I do prefer making my own now.

Also I noticed nobody’s really mentioned that with the cost of crude oil going up so is the cost of paraffin. Right now my choice paraffin cost more per pound than the soy pillar wax I’m currently testing. Perhaps there are cheaper sources for paraffin around but with the oil situation I think the choice of offering paraffin candles for less than renewable waxes is a thing of the past. Soon the market is going to be the opposite and that’s when the soy and palm preferences in the marketplace will increase. I already see a lot more requests for soy from my customers.

I have to comment on this, I don't mean to sound negative but just the facts that I see on my end. Yes, you are right crude oil is going up but what you may not know is that we (farmers) are getting a very good price on our soybeans right now. I believe this is due to the bio-diesel plants that are springing up everywhere. On one hand I can't complain because we are getting better prices for our crops but I can almost guarantee your soy wax prices will keep going up. Maybe I am wrong but I am just stating what I see happening on the farm. Prices will filter down the channels which makes me think soy wax prices will increase as well. How long it will last is anyones guess, the soybean market could bottom out and end tomorrow and then again it may stay this way for awhile or even keep climbing in prices. This is however just my opinion and correct me if I am wrong.

3/4"? That's a torch!!:shocked2: No wonder it's smokin' like a chimney! I keep my wicks trimmed to 1/4", and they don't "smoke" (greasy, fat-free, low-tar or crack) unless the flame is disturbed by a draft.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::P:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Ummm--just to requalify that--I am speaking of flame height--not wick height. Otherwise---cant imagine why you would think of a 3/4" flame as a torch.

Maybe I am wrong but I am just stating what I see happening on the farm. Prices will filter down the channels which makes me think soy wax prices will increase as well. How long it will last is anyones guess, the soybean market could bottom out and end tomorrow and then again it may stay this way for awhile or even keep climbing in prices. This is however just my opinion and correct me if I am wrong.

I also believe the soy prices will go up. Farmers will be planting more corn for the fuel market & have fewer soybean crops, resulting in higher prices for the soy. I like soy, but lately have had issues with several brands, so may have to offer both soy & paraffin.

PamR

I also believe the soy prices will go up. Farmers will be planting more corn for the fuel market & have fewer soybean crops, resulting in higher prices for the soy. I like soy, but lately have had issues with several brands, so may have to offer both soy & paraffin.

PamR

Actually soybeans produce the biodiesel and corn produces ethanol so both are means of fuel