Plz humor me .... re: palm waxes

Tomorrow noon, eastern time presumably, ends Candlewics special on the palm waxes. I know ppl get really upset with other ppl who don't take the time to research, and I would if I had the time & if my eyes weren't already burned out from looking at the monitor all day at work. So, I'm hoping that those of you who are in the know will humor me with your feedback about the palm waxes.

I know they're a b_itch to wick, but the effects are so cool, I don't care. I'm having a hard time deciding on the the feathering type or the crystalizing type. Any thoughts you might have to help me decide?

I have liquid dyes from Peak's. Will they work just as well in the palm wax as they work in the paraffin? If you've never used paraffin, I'd still be interested in your opinion on liquid color in palm wax.

Is it advisable to use any kind of additive (besides color & FO) with any of the palm waxes?

If you can think of anything else to add, please do. I'd really like to know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I did attempt a search, but zero results. I'm probably not using the right key words.

I agree with Paulette, the feather is so pretty. And I agree with the stearic for candlewics wax, especially for mold release. It really won't come out without it. I wouldn't order a ton of this wax until you know how crazy you'll get over trying to wick it - and you will go crazy. I have my 2" pillars down pretty well but I can't get my 3" down to save my life.

If I put too much stearic in my feather it turns into a really pretty crystal. I don't use any color when I do it like this. I think they would make really great wedding candles.

Paulette what do you wick 2 and 3 inch pillars with?

Paulette & Jeana, thank you both for your thoughts. Feather palm it is! :yay: I hadn't really thought about pillar size until now. I have molds that are 2", 3" & 4". More than likely I'd make 3" pillars. Is there a particular type of mold (metal, al, poly, etc) that is better to use than others?

Should I get the veggie stearic or will the 'standard' variety, which I already have, work?

Yes, Paulette, any suggestions you have about wicking would be invaluable, I'm sure. I have a wide variety of sample wicks I've gotten from Peak's. If I don't already have what you might suggest, then I'll order that from Candlewic at the same time I order my wax.

Too bad the hot throw is on the poor side. On the other hand, that's okay. Not every candle needs to be scented, which brings me to the next question ... does using FO enhance the feather patterning (like FO helps mottling)? Conversely, would the absence of FO produce a cool looking candle?

The fo doesn't make for a better feathering effect like in mottled candles, but I would recommend just a dash of something in the pot, as these waxes have a weird smell. Not horrible, but not pleasing either. Just a dab of anything takes away the weirdness.

Never tried the polycarb molds with this, but can't see how it would work and make the feathers. I have best luck in aluminium molds, but have used metal also.

Colors will come out lighter with these waxes, so anything you have on hand should work well, just takes a little practice getting the color where you want it.

:)

I use the aluminum molds. You have to pour this wax really hot (180-200) to get the feather effect. I haven't noticed fos making any difference on the feather pattern. I use veg stearic.

The funny thing for me about this wax is that I get a really good scent throw from it. I know other people say they don't but mine don't have a problem. I only put a little bit in so I don't disturb the pattern, about 3 %. Even my vanillas are strong without being lit. I have one spa scent (I ended up not liking at all) that was so strong I threw out the candles.

I've been experiementing with ECO, LX, and RRD wicks in this wax. So far RRD 29 works pretty well in the 2" square and round. Especially if you trim the wick between 1.5 and 2 hours after you light it, you can be good for another few hours of burning. I'm just worried about giving customers those types of instructions. I don't think they will do this.

If you can find a really good wick for your 3' please let me know.