2 questions

Maybe she got lucky her first try with the wick.:undecided

What I've noticed after going on these types of "business owners" forums is that when newbies come in and want to try something and sell it, the people that have been doing it for a while do come off a little mean. Just because some it took years to test and others are selling after a couple months of testing (some people being slower learners). what works for some might not work for others you all have said it. If their customers are happy be happy for them. "One mans trash is anothers treasure". Do your "product" the best you can. I think everyone should get a little more mature, quit going back and forth on stupid subjects.

true, maybe she got lucky.

When I started I was lucky. Then when I wanted to do something different I learned it cant be luck, you have to be prepared. if you are selling just one type of candle with just one scent and the wick does well then yeah, it's fine. but when you want to add scent # 2 you have to be ready to clear your mind and (probably) start again, that's when knowing something about candlemaking helps! you should know why a wick acts in a way or in another. or a scent. or an additive. most customers don't know a thing a bout this, and they buy and burn without even knowing what a good burn is, but I met two people who had more than a clue about a good burn. they asked a lot of question on how my candles burn (do they drip, are they self-consuming) and a lot of question on what they see around, such "why that candle has such a big wick" and so on. If you can provide informations you have a point. You wnat to look as a pro but doing so you really show you are a pro (well, learning in candlemaking never ends).

I don't like people making one candle and booking fairs or opening website. This means superficiality. I'm still nervous when someone buys my candles even if everytime they rave about them. Every sale for me is like the first. I'm very pick and hypercritical, yes, but it's my name that goes out. I don't want to seem a clown.

I can understand why someone gets a little upset. it's a matter of safety but it's also a matter of knowing what you're doing, it's your reputation and all candlemakers reputation. There's too much superficiality and I hate this. Not that is sure the case of tasha, at least she put her in discussion, she wants to know and improve. nonetheless she has already a businnes up and running. what happens if someone makes an order while you're in the middle of retesting, you can't sell. At least this is my case, I changed paraffin and no one paraffin candle has left this house in months.

Just my thoughts.

Hey ladies I have a question:

1) How do you know which size wick to use for different size candles? I didn't know the size of the wick mattered until I watched a candle making video today and it was mentioned.

2) Could someone give me a list of the soy wax burning times for jar sizes

2-24 ozs?

I would really appreciate any help that I can get. I am getting ready to start my business and these are the last 2 things I have to get straight. I thought I had everything until the wick question came up today and I think the burning times would be beneficial to my customers.

Tasha

Exquisite Fragrances and Candles

Well tasha, what wicks have you been using and where are you getting them? How did you know to pick out the wick you are using now? Most every supplier that sells wicks sells more than one size so what made you pick the size you have? Also every fragrance oil you have used so far works with this one wick you are using? I have to agree with Vicki, if you don't even know that the size of the wick matters, you really need to go back to the beginning and start over! I am sickened at the fact that you have already sold (and are selling) candles that you have not properly tested. To start with in your proper testing of wicks, you look on the suppliers site and find the wick that they say should work with what ever the diameter of your jar is, then you pour testers with that wick and maybe a size bigger and a size smaller then you burn those and see which one is burning the best and safest...see this is where you would have known this if you had been doing your homework since you said you have been doing this for over a year already! The candlemakers on this forum have a lot of pride in their work and they take candlemaking very seriously, people who come here looking for hand out information so they can make a fast buck and who are also pumping out unsafe/poor quality candles aren't looked at to kindly! I really hope you stop selling candles IMMEDIATELY until you have done all your homework and actually KNOW what you are making and how safe your product is!

Maybe we should tell her what could happen if she puts a wrong wick in a certain jar or pillar..of course if she tests she should know this, right?? Correct me if i'm wrong.

If the wick in a pillar or jar is to small, your going to get NO melt pool & your candle isn't going to burn or smell, which is why ppl buy candles, right?

In Pillars if you wick to big you could have a disaster on your hands..same with jar candles..I don't make them, but i know if you over wick in a jar....your jar gets hot & man that sucker explodes!!!!!!!!! Not a pretty site. And a fire hazard!!!!!

To much F.O. is bad too..you cant just through "X" amount of F.O.in a candle either. To much & wow..disaster again! That stuff caught es fire.

Sounds like perhaps, maybe, she was working from a kit that came with a "matched set" of container, wick, wax, FO... If a vendor put the kit together one would hope the appropriate wick had been chosen, non?

BUT when you strike out on your own with variations, that's where things get complicated...

That's where *I* started. And stopped (again). This candle thing is quite complex. Now I am back at ground zero after 6 months off from trying - and this time I'm starting with RESEARCH, and barely sticking my toes in the POURING arena - one mold, one FO, one color...!!! (Last time I tried for a bunch of different variations all at once - OUCH!!!)