Vanilla Planifolia help please

Hi again, and thanks to those who sent me a warm welcome.

I am only new to making soy (NV) candles, and am having a ball. Have had good progress with essential oils and synthetic frangrances. I recently purchased Vanilla Planifolia as it was listed in my suppliers list as an essential oil (I am also learning about ess oils). I have at this moment, added the VP to the NV, but its not blending - the VP remains in tiny globules, and settling on the bottom of the pot. Can you please tell me whether VP is not soluble in the NV; and should I not use this in the NV? If not, could you please tell me, whether there is a natural vanilla (and what would it be named) that is soluble in the NV. Also, would it matter to leave it the way it is, as there seems to be an throw coming from it; or is it going to react in some weird way? Thanks

I do not use NV soy.. so I am no help there.. and I do not use eo's either.

all i can say to help you is.. if it is sinking.. and not blending.. then I would not use it... you cannot not have an oily mess when your candle is finish .. it could become a fire hazard... Hope this helps you out :)

cathy

• 3 weeks later...
Hi again, and thanks to those who sent me a warm welcome.

I am only new to making soy (NV) candles, and am having a ball. Have had good progress with essential oils and synthetic frangrances. I recently purchased Vanilla Planifolia as it was listed in my suppliers list as an essential oil (I am also learning about ess oils). I have at this moment, added the VP to the NV, but its not blending - the VP remains in tiny globules, and settling on the bottom of the pot. Can you please tell me whether VP is not soluble in the NV; and should I not use this in the NV? If not, could you please tell me, whether there is a natural vanilla (and what would it be named) that is soluble in the NV. Also, would it matter to leave it the way it is, as there seems to be an throw coming from it; or is it going to react in some weird way? Thanks

Just wanting to clarify the vanilla you got... True Vanilla is one of the most expensive oils on the market. Typically $1500/16oz at a minimum. Are you sure it's natural? Sometimes they will all it "rectified" or "nature identical"...but these are not essential oils. I know one distributer used to sell a vanilla extract oil, but they haven't had it in ages.

Just curious really...wandering where you got it!!

I dn't think it's a true "essential oil" like others, it's probably an absolute. And those are mostly water soluable, since an absolute contains a bit of alcohol (flower/seed extracted w/ hexane to form a "concrete", which is extracted with alcohol to form an "absolute"). I do know the expensive candle manufacturers use concretes in their fragrances.

As a total guess, don't know if it would throw at all, would be to infuse some soybean oil with lots of vanilla. Though you probably wouldn't be able to add enough soybean oil to your wax to get a scent. Would be an interesting experiment though :)