shipping help pleaseeee

Lisasoaps

I hope this is posted in the right place....I had someone ask me if I could tell them how much it would cost to send a 50 lb box of goods to Canada. I have never done this before but would like to learn. I live in the USA. Can someone tell me whats involved. I went to UPS. com with his zip S7K 1M6 Canada and where it would come from, 06010 CT and got a total of ship cost for $51.00. does this seem right to any of you? I just dont know are there special papers to sign and any hidden charges i should know about? oy yoi yoi !!! Anybody out there that can explain a little of this to me that has some experience? thank you so much

That price doesn't seem unreasonable for shipping UPS, but what you're not being told, is the cost of the brokerage fee.....which will probably be more than the shipping fee!!

Look into shipping USPS if it's under their weight limit. The cost is the cost, no brokerage fees.

I ship to canada a lot with my ebay stuff. Be carfull on the charges, I would suggest taking it to the post office to get a quote. You will have to fill out customs forms and list each item in the box. If the cost of the items is a lot the buyer may have a lot of cost on customs fees. :cheesy2: The $51. sounds about right to me? Rhonda

Not sure if usps will deliver, i thought I saw somewhere that they will not deliver over 40 lbs....hmmmm..

I think they should. I went to their site, typed in canada as the destination, and put 50 lbs for the package weight. It resulted in a quote of about $80 (this was for airmail, I wonder if there would be a less expensive surface option). Anyway I think they should deliver if they were able to give me a quote, but maybe it's best if you check with the post office. Maybe note down the dimensions of the box, and just describe it to them, intead of dragging the whole box there.

If it is going UPS ground the reciever in Canada will have to pay brokerage charges plus any taxes and duties....

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

The big catch is if the declaration is more than 5 lines...Each item has to be shown separately on the invoice and once you get to 6 they start costing C$4.50 for each extra line....It is typically not acceptable to call the order "candle supplies" for example...Because the customer can not prepay the taxes, etc. there is a COD fee of C$4.25 plus 2.7% (bond fee) on any taxes they have to collect...Even on a small shipment the fees add up pretty quick...If when the package arrives they are shocked by the amount due and refuse the shipment, the shipper is responsible for the charges of the return trip...I think Fedex Ground brokerage charges are the same...For postal shipments the taxes and duties are still still on arrival but Canadas Post only charge C$5.00 for brokerage....

Ship it USPS. Just put candles on the form and make sure you check the box as a gift, very important because the receiver will have to pay a duty fee or something if you don't. Usually online gives more options but as sudnwicks said it is only giving the air option. People usually choose this anyway because otherwise it can take 6 weeks or so to get there.

I ship alot to Canada. I have the phone number for my local post office, and I call them with the weight, dimensions, etc., and they help me with the different shipping options. Once I have that info, I plug the info intot the online site. Since I have an account with them, and they have switched to the new international shipping, I find that if I print the label online, there is usually a discount that is show if you do, instead of purchasing at the post office. I have a stack of the new custom forms that I can fill out.

Whether printing the label online, or buying postage at the post office, you still have to stand in line and physically present the package to them since it is international. HTH.

And, although the shipping company is supposed to collect the brokerage fee AT delivery, if they for some stupid reason leave the package anyway, and then the customer doesn't want to pay the brokerage fee, you as the shipper are responsible and they'll send you a bill. Ask me how I know :angry2:

Whether printing the label online, or buying postage at the post office, you still have to stand in line and physically present the package to them since it is international. HTH.

If you schedule a pick up, all you have to do is present it personally to your carrier. So you can't just leave it on your porch to be picked up, but you also don't have to drive downtown and stand in line either. I ship out internationally all the time now that they've set up the discount for doing so online. I never go to the post office if I can help it.

If you schedule a pick up, all you have to do is present it personally to your carrier. So you can't just leave it on your porch to be picked up, but you also don't have to drive downtown and stand in line either. I ship out internationally all the time now that they've set up the discount for doing so online. I never go to the post office if I can help it.
I had been wondering about their pick up service. Since I can't simply leave it on my porch, do I have to sit by my window looking for the carrier to drive by, and then rush out to flag her down?