What color should Bayberry be?

What color should Bayberry be? What the hell is a bayberry? lol I just ordered a now scent from Peaks and do not know what color or photo to use. Here is their pic and description.

bayberrylg.jpgBayberry - A traditional favorite for the holidays. Bayberry, while not a coniferous plant, has piney, woodsey, and sweet berry notes that collectively characterize the holiday season.

I use Lonestar's Bayberry liquid. Its a forest green color. Very nice!

But like Sharon-- I just did some Cinnamon Bayberry candles in cinnamon red. I also put in some bayberry colored chunks and they look fantastic with the red and green together. Very Christmasee!

That description sound so good but I have never smelled a good Bayberry. Maybe send me a sniffy when you get it. I say green, I really like the picture Peaks has, very pretty light green,

yeah pm me your addy. I have never smelled it before but sounded nice. When i got it i didn't really like it but i have not put it in wax yet so we will see. :undecided

my mom lives in Richmond and my dad Berea. I spend my senior year in Berea at Madison Southern High School. :)

Bayberry is a plant. The berries are boiled and exude a natural wax which is already scented. It is a fairly expensive wax. It is one of the older forms of candle wax that has been used. Bayberry scent imitates the scent of the natural wax. I believe light green is the color. This is a common Christmas scent.

Geez, it's about time to start thinking about all the Bayberry candles I do every yr -- I'm SO tired of it. I've always gone green. Since you're not familiar w/ the scent, I'm guessing you're not aware of the Bayberry Poem & the Christmas tradition of these candles?

This Bayberry candle's a gift from a friend,

On New Years Eve burn it down to the end.

A Bayberry candle burned down to the socket,

Brings luck to the home & wealth to the pocket.

I've also seen the poem to say: on Christmas Eve, but that makes for a lousy Christmas gift. When I did my own 'poll', I found everyone in agreeance that they wanted the candle to be burned on New Yrs Eve. I make a fortune on these little buggers every yr, which explains why I'm so sick of this scent after 4 yrs. I also found that you need to make these candles as small as possible, so they can get them burned 'down to the socket' on whichever Eve you choose. My 1st yr I actually got calls from people fearing their 'luck' was ruined, when they couldn't get the whole thing burned! So, now I use a 4oz tin or a flower pot votive w/ plastic lid. I include a short note that has: the tradition of Bayberry candles, my company wishes for a wonderful Holiday (including a shameless plug for future business) & instructions to start burning the candle a couple hrs each night, leaving enough to complete the final burn on New Yrs Eve. Every yr I get more & more calls/emails from past recipients who love the tradition place their own order.

Susan.

The saying about the bayberry candle is for the candle made out of bayberry wax not the bayberry fragrance. You burn a bayberry wax candle down to the bottom and its supposed to bring you good luck. I just read that on Candlewic's site. They sell bayberry wax.

All of the Bayberry candles I've ever seen were green. I've heard of the New Years Eve tradition too. A long long time ago, before all the candle companies became popular, there were only a hand full of scents available. Bayberry was one of them. Back in the Pilgrim days, a bayberry candle was very prized over the plain tallow ones. :D

The saying about the bayberry candle is for the candle made out of bayberry wax not the bayberry fragrance. You burn a bayberry wax candle down to the bottom and its supposed to bring you good luck. I just read that on Candlewic's site. They sell bayberry wax.

Well, I won't dispute the origins of the tradition, but the times they are a changin'! There was a time when necessity & availability dictated trends. Today, there's a small percentage of candlemakers that work w/ Bayberry wax & it's much more common to see the tradition carried on in the form of a scented Bayberry candle. I guess it all comes down to marketing ... like, CandleWic pushing a slow-moving wax. Bayberry's a nice Holiday scent & I was simply trying to share what has worked for me.

Susan.

Sounds like a great scent..I'm actually tired of a Christmas tree scent and was looking for something new...who in your opinion has the best Bayberry?

"Best" or "authentic" ? :)

There are many bayberry FOs out there and many have other notes added that are simply NOT bayberry. Bayberry wax, especially when pouring it, is quite distinctive. If you want an authentic bayberry FO ChrisR turned me on to one a couple years ago that I still think is the best: http://store.scent-works.com/newenba.html