UPS hundred weight

Can I ask you where you read this info on the hundred weight issue? I have been looking and can't find any info on it..thanks!

Here's the page:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/hundredweight.html

scroll to the bottom ...

Note: UPS Hundredweight Service offers a discounted rate to customers who ship multiple packages to the same address on the same day using any of these services: UPS Next Day Air®, UPS Next Day Air Saver®, UPS 2nd Day Air A.M.® , UPS 2nd Day Air®, UPS 3 Day Select®, and UPS Ground. UPS Hundredweight Service is available only to customers who receive an Automatic Daily Pickup.

It doesn't specify "not available for residential addresses" but I know I read it somewhere ~ possibly my update that they send out with their rate increase notices.

Note: UPS Hundredweight Service offers a discounted rate to customers who ship multiple packages to the same address on the same day using any of these services: UPS Next Day Air®, UPS Next Day Air Saver®, UPS 2nd Day Air A.M.® , UPS 2nd Day Air®, UPS 3 Day Select®, and UPS Ground. UPS Hundredweight Service is available only to customers who receive an Automatic Daily Pickup.

I interpreted this to mean the sender cannot be a residential address.

I interpreted this to mean the sender cannot be a residential address.

Nope...it's the one who receives. Automatic Daily Pick-up meaning that UPS comes to said account. Since they are there daily, regardless of whether or not there are packages to go out, they are eligible for hundred weight discount on their incoming freight.

Nope...it's the one who receives. Automatic Daily Pick-up meaning that UPS comes to said account. Since they are there daily, regardless of whether or not there are packages to go out, they are eligible for hundred weight discount on their incoming freight.
Aww... shucks. That means shipping just got more expensive for our waxes since we can't save by ordering 4 cases. :(

Apparently the extra charges for shipping to 'residential' addresses has been in effect for quite a while now so if you have been ordering hundred weight this year, you have probably already been paying the added charges.

Here is what I emailed to UPS:

I have a question about the UPS Hundredweight service. May a shipper who receives Automatic Daily Pickups use the Hundredweight Service to ship to a residential address? This is not made clear on the Hundredweight page.
Here is their reply:
08/16/2007 02:34 PM

Yes, the shipper with Automatic Daily Pickups can use the Hundredweight Service to ship to a residence. For multiple-package shipments weighing less than 1,000 pounds. With Hundredweight Service, there is no need for pallets, no extra charge for guaranteed on-schedule delivery and each package has its own address label and unique tracking number.

Qualifications for Hundredweight service:

Packages addressed to a single consignee at one location within the 50 states on the same day.

Total shipment billable weight of 100 pounds or more for each UPS Next Day Air, UPS Next Day Air Saver, UPS 2nd Day Air A.M. or UPS 2nd Day Air shipment.

Total shipment actual weight of 200 pounds or more for each UPS 3 Day Select or UPS Ground shipment.

Some shipments less than 500 pounds may be more economically rated as 500 pounds. The UPS billing system will automatically compute the shipment charges at both the shipment-billed weight and at 500 pounds, compare them and bill the lower of the two.

Available to all daily pickup account customers in the 50 contiguous states.

Please contact us if you need any additional assistance.

Dee Watts

UPS Customer Service

I hope this clarifies this issue and corrects the original incorrect information posted by Kim from Nevada and others! If any of you have a question about whether your supplier qualifies for hundredweight shipping to you, why not ASK them...

UPS considers its "customers" to be the SHIPPERS (as THEY are the folks who are using UPS services to ship their products), not the recipients. Residential addresses can still RECEIVE hundredweight shipments as long as the SHIPPER (the UPS customer), has automatic daily pickups. A shipper who does NOT have automatic daily pickups would not be eligible to ship to anyone by hundredweight, residential or otherwise.:D

Of course, I DID notice this...

Available to all daily pickup account customers in the 50 contiguous states.
Ummm, someone should tell UPS that the US does indeed have 50 actual states, but only 48 of them are contiguous...:laugh2:

I was told on another site that yes if going to a residential delivery you can still get the hundred weight discount, however UPS charges a fee to deliver to a residential which basically cancels the discount out. Not sure how true it is though....

I was told on another site that yes if going to a residential delivery you can still get the hundred weight discount, however UPS charges a fee to deliver to a residential which basically cancels the discount out. Not sure how true it is though....

I believe this is correct, as in one of the missing posts, Alan from Peak had explained about the surcharge (something like $27?) which would effectively cancel out the discount.

K, I stand corrected on my post :). Good to know, but I too believe there are the additional charges to residential addy's that cancel out the discount, so shipping to s hub, UPS store or other commercial addy sounds like the best bet.

Yes, the shipper with Automatic Daily Pickups can use the Hundredweight Service to ship to a residence. For multiple-package shipments weighing less than 1,000 pounds. With Hundredweight Service, there is no need for pallets,no extra charge for guaranteed on-schedule delivery and each package has its own address label and unique tracking number. Notice the "no extra charge part."

Mike

The BEST way to find out if there are surcharges for residential addresses is to contact UPS (scroll down the page for email or online customer service) and ask them! I know that because of higher volume, some shippers can ship at reduced cost vs. other lower volume shippers, but exactly WHAT those discounts & surcharges are is a question for UPS or your supplier/shipper if you want accurate answers and not rumour... Remember that one supplier's deal with UPS may be different from another's...

In one of the lost posts, someone slyly posted that a good source for the inside track on all this is to ask a FexEx rep...:laugh2:I like that one! :D