Scent mixing techniques...other than q-tips?

Mountain_Annie

Hi,

Are there other (better) techniques that are used to try various scent mixes other than the q-tip technique in a baggy? I can't seem to get a good enough "scent hint" (for lack of better words) from that technique... even with the stronger FOs. Maybe I'm using too small a q-tip. :grin2: Do they make them in different sizes? Like larger for larger ear holes? :laugh2: What about using cotton balls? or will they just shrink down to basically "a puff of leaking air" when FO is added to them? :D

I would just go and try the cotton balls...but I don't have any on hand at the moment.

~ Mt Annie ~

Do you make tarts or melts? You could make a small batch of tarts in both scents (if it's just two). Let them cure a few days and test them in a warmer/burner if you have one, that way too, if one scent is too strong you can add more of the other scent until you find a happy medium. When I do this some times I don't bother with molds I just pour 1/4" layer into a metal pan and cut the wax before it sets up. But it still isn't going to give you the best outcome aside from just mixing it up and testing.

I sometimes use the empty 1 oz sample containers to mix scents in. Preferably the one that already has the scent I want to mix with something else. Then all I have to do is put in a little bit of the other fragrance(s) I want to mix it with.

I agree the q-tip only gives me a hint of fragrance and I need more information.

Still use the q-tip method but I like mixing in the sample containers better.

>>>putting them in a baggie will leach the scent out.

That's an interesting bit of info! No wonder I could never smell them from the baggies!! (grin) Is it the plastic itself that leaches out the scent..or the air trapped inside the baggie?

This doesn't apply to finished wax products does it? (such as candles, tarts etc which are displayed in plastic cello bags) I would think that once the fo is thoroughly mixed into the candle wax that the plastic wouldn't be an issue at that point. (?)

Mt A.

=================================

i put the q-tips in a glass jar seal the lid wait 4-24hrs. open, sniff. putting them in a baggie will leach the scent out.

yes from personal experience i used to years ago wrap my tarts in the plastic wrap from a store, would open them later to find the scent gone so now i use little cello bags for tarts. you want polyproplene (like cello bags) not polyethane. just remember polypro is good.

So...the other poly bags (like sandwich baggies, the polyu bags or plastic wraps leach the scent out but the polypro cello bags do not. Correct?

====================================

yes from personal experience i used to years ago wrap my tarts in the plastic wrap from a store, would open them later to find the scent gone so now i use little cello bags for tarts. you want polyproplene (like cello bags) not polyethane. just remember polypro is good.

You ladies have such great ideas! Thanks for all the help!

~ Mt Annie ~

============

I text blends by putting a drop of this, drop of that into a glass jelly jar and sealing. Since I'm using tiny amounts, I keep the jar tilted so all the eo's or fo's pool in one area and marinate.

Then I swirl it around and check the scent after a bit.