Another business name (sorry)

SpaceGirl

I know, I know - we get them all the time. But I'm about ready to file for a trade name and sales tax license with the state... and would like some opinions on my chosen name before I get too far down the road. Y'all can serve as my sanity check (oh my gosh did I just say that)

Right now I do primarily candles but am going to venture into some B&B products as well, so I don't want a name that implies only candle sales (leaving the door open for more, eh?). I am not racing to sell lots or build a fancy website right away -- I'm more laying the groundwork so that when I am more ready the name (business name and domain name) are mine to work with. I did partner with a friend for awhile and did a very low volume of sales -- mostly at seasonal craft fairs or to co-workers -- so I'm not a novice but had not struck out on my own before.

So... after all that intro... the original name I chose was Mountain Lights, but the next iteration is Mountain Lights and Luxuries.

Feedback? Opinions? Blunt criticism?

whew.... I'm right there with you! Choosing a name can be very, very difficult. It's easier to help someone else, I think. I like the way 'Mountain Lights' sounds. I love simple, easy to spell names. Adding 'Luxuries' takes away some of the simplistic appeal, at least for me. I think Mountain Lights might be able to transfer over to B & B. If not, I think that luxuries is the best fit, as far as B & B. But maybe you could add a luxury thing into a tagline. Mountain Lights, bathing you in luxury. I suck at taglines. Wait, I kinda suck at business names too. Perhaps you should stop listening to me now.

How are you going to do labels? Do you already have a 'theme' decided? That always helps when choosing a name as well, I think. Picture how the entire line will look labeled, packaged and on display.

I wish you the best of luck, as I can empathize with the difficulty of your decision! Hopefully some of the more creative folks here will jump in and help you more...

Length of the name is something that concerns me, too. But these days, with bookmarks and browsers that "remember" website that you've been to, I was kind of hoping that the length issue isn't that much of one anymore. If I go with the longer name I'd list Mountain Lights and an aka so that payments (like checks at craft fairs) could be made out that way.

My theme.... well I can kind of describe it. NOT prim, NOT elaborate, NOT fussy or fancy. Mostly simple and elegant but every once in awhile I want to convey sheer indulgence. Especially with the B&B stuff -- treat yourself to something rich and creamy and nourishing because you are worth it. The candles are mostly solid and simple but with a little flair to them -- I'm incorporating siwrls into most of my containers and I'll probably get back into rustic pillars.

The logo designs we've been tossing around all revolve around a mountain in some way -- either with a flame in front of it or with some sort of embossed effect. And blue. Its my favorite color so it's going to be prevalent in any design I do. Hey -- it's my business, right? :grin2:

Thanks for the comments so far!