which wicks?????

does anyone out there use astorlite v?? i am having problems finding the proper wicks in 4 different scents i am testing. i am up to cd7 and still have a small amount around the edges. in alot of postings, i have seen using cd5-6 but not cd7 and up in votives. what am i doing wrong?? i am not getting any smoking and only small mushrooms on one of them. please advise. thanks:)

I don't use astor V but, if the votives still have a bit of hang up, go up one size wick. Different frangrances can require different wicks. Regardless of what others use, you have to use what works for you. That's why there's no one right answer usually, it's different for each person. :)

Ginger, it's not you, it's the wax. I hated the V for that very reason. The votives burn like little pillars, tunneling down and leaving a shell. After going nutso, I switched waxes and saved the V for tarts. It will catch up eventually on votives, but it's not a pretty burn. :sad2:

e

Astorlite V is one of those high melt point "on pour" votive waxes. They are really useful in case you routinely ship votives to hell because the candles hold up better to the heat. Generally though it's better to use something a little more melty. If you have a supplier you prefer we can point out the waxes they have that you might get better results from.

thanks to all of you for your knowledge. i think i have 4-5 cases of this wax l so it will take a while to use up. i guess i'll test wicks till i croak. thanks again.
That's only about 1600 votives. You should get through it in no time.

In the meantime, you might want to experiment with some different wick types. You want to make as wide a melt pool as you can without getting a big flame and soot. CD might not be optimal.

I haven't tried wicking that particular situation so I can't tell you what will work but I'd probably give LX a whirl next.