Another First Party

Alajane

I also had my first party this weekend--after having it on my business cards for 2 years, finally somebody booked one! But what was really funny is that the hostess called me out of the blue and said she wanted to have a party. I made up folders for everyone with all my hostess info, price lists, miscellaneous info, but nobody looked at one! So when I told the hostess she got $53 in free candles, she said--oh, you don't need to do that; I just wanted to have the party to help you out! Of course, I did subtract that from the merchandise she ordered anyway!

But I couldn't figure it out--we're not particularly good friends; the hostess is a friend of my DIL, but I hardly know her and my DIL is definitely not a "party person." I finally decided she just wanted an excuse to have a party--she has an absolutely gorgeous new house, 2-month-old twins, and several of the guests had babies, so evidently she just wanted an excuse to get the people together to see her house and babies.

Whatever her reason, it was a good party for me--around $350 in sales, so I was pleased. Unlike the craft shows I do, I sold very few "small" items--mostly larger candles. These people were definitely not the "cheapskates" that I normally deal with that buy the 3/$12 items; most of them bought $30 or more.

So I was very pleased--but it sure was a lot of work! I took nearly everything I normally take to a craft show, and it seemed like a lot more trouble to do all that setting up, packing, and unpacking for a 2-hour show than for an all-day event. On the other hand, I've had full-day shows that didn't have much more sales than that--I just had to "share" it with the hostess!

Well, that's my weekend report.:yay:

Jane

It is a win-win situation. She got to show off and you got some sales! Congrats!!!!

I would rather do a ton of work and get it over with faster and have it be just as bennificial as doing the same amount of work in a longer period of time.

I would rather set up and take down for a 2 hour home party and make $350 than spend all day at a craft fair and make the same. It leaves you with more time to make new candles. That is the way I would look at it! Plus, your name is now out there more so than it was!