My first event

ebarnes

Well I did my first festival this weekend, made a total of $500.00, the set up fee was $300.00. I sold my 25oz jars for $16.00, my 16oz jars for $12.00 and my 8oz for $6.00. I sold out of the 8oz jars, and a lot of the 16oz jars, I brought home a lot of the 25oz jars. It was hot, some of my candles melted (tops) and some even turn colors. But I had fun.

Congratulations! I'm sure it feels good to have that first one under your belt. And you never know what might come of this show down the road from those that saw you or from repeat business. But $300 for a set up fee?? How long was the festival? That just seems a bit high. Especially for a 1 or 2 day event. So was the $500 your total take or what you made after all was said and done and expenses and costs were deducted? No matter, you still got some exposure and got your name out there. That is always a good thing. :yay:

Congratulations! I'm sure it feels good to have that first one under your belt. And you never know what might come of this show down the road from those that saw you or from repeat business. But $300 for a set up fee?? How long was the festival? That just seems a bit high. Especially for a 1 or 2 day event. So was the $500 your total take or what you made after all was said and done and expenses and costs were deducted? No matter, you still got some exposure and got your name out there. That is always a good thing. :yay:

It was a one day event that attracted about 90,000 people. This was my first event this big so I really was not prepared. I usually have an exfollient station (did not have) only sold 3 jars of scrub, I only had about 10, 8oz candles (which were big hits) and about 50, 25oz candles. I probally broke even with sales, maybe a small profit.

You should figure a minimum of twice your entry fee to even break even. That might cover the cost of supplies and entry fee. If you have to drive far, it won't cover other costs, such as gas and time.

Like Meridith said, even a bad show can turn out to be good exposure, depending on what comes from it in repeat customers and possible wholesale. But to sell $500 at a $300 show isn't something I would plan on doing next year.

www.StuffSunshineLikes.com

You should figure a minimum of twice your entry fee to even break even. That might cover the cost of supplies and entry fee. If you have to drive far, it won't cover other costs, such as gas and time.

Like Meridith said, even a bad show can turn out to be good exposure, depending on what comes from it in repeat customers and possible wholesale. But to sell $500 at a $300 show isn't something I would plan on doing next year.

www.StuffSunshineLikes.com

I think I will, it cost me (supplies & shipping) about $3.25 to make a 16oz jar, about $4.25 for a 25oz jar and $2.25 to make a 8oz jar. So out of the $500 I made $300 was an entry fee and probally, I spent about $125-$150 on supplies and the rest was profit. The show was about 2 miles from my house, I did have to buy a tent $50 from pepboys and mt girlfriend let me use her SUV. Im going ot give her $100 for helping me out yesterday. I met soo many people and they all said that they will visit me at the Flea Market (I expect about 25% of them to show up). I also met some people that told me that they recieved my candles as house warming gifts, felt good to see my name out there.

I agree $300.00 for a set up is high. Right now my highest is $125.00 and not thrilled with that but local. I Might make close to $400.00 but for 2 long drooling days not alot of money. IN fact I have some bigger shows I could do and might make money but that $250.00 scares me. Those are trades shows(at least that is what they say) but I think just a regular HUGE craft show with just local people but it is a bigger county and town.

NOW if you made that in 1 day not bad but 2 days it is very hard IMO. Check around and go for the more reasonable shows for fall and it then will pick up. Candlemakers in my area are dwindling and a few times I have been the only 1 but busy(only that they buy 1 thing). I just do them anyway knowing it. The cost for these shows are also going down to like $20-25.00 in bigger towns. The economy(sp) is killing people. :sad2:

You mention people said they will come later but many times that never happens. I get people wanting to know where my shop is but never say I will get something from your website even though it is on my jars. They want to walk in and I don't have that. Talking that now. I wouldn't do it UNLESS on my property. I want to own my business(building) and not be paying some high cost for rent for a place. Sign a year's lease and go under.

LynnS

I dont' find $300 unreasonable at all with the attendance count. I've paid $500 for a weekend at shows with that type of attendance.

I too would give it another whirl E. You'll know what to expect the next time, you'll have your exfoliant system there and customers will start to recognize you as an established vendor.

I love big events... chaching!!!!!! Good luck :)