Cupcake Frosting Recipe for those who have been looking!!

thecandlespastore

I finally figured out how to make that hard cupcake frosting! Here is the recipe:

This smooth, hard-drying icing is perfect for making decorations that last. It is also useful as a "cement" to fasten decorations together. Royal icing is edible, but not recommended for icing cakes.

Ingredients:

Beat all ingredients until icing forms peaks (7-10 minutes at low speed with a heavy-duty mixer, 10-12 minutes at high speed with a hand-held mixer). Recipe makes 3 cups.

NOTE: Keep all utensils completely grease-free for proper icing consistency.

* For stiffer icing, use 1 tablespoon less water.

**When using large countertop mixer or for stiffer icing, use 1 tablespoon less water.

I found it on:

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/royal.cfm

Guess who's whipping up a huge batch like crazy this weekend:yay:

I've made these, and tested them quite a bit. I'm still testing them before I sell them actively.

The top needs a bit of help to dissolve, I was thinking of trying a mix of baking soda with the icing sugar to get some more skin softening properties in there.

And as for the yeastie beasties. If someone is more prone to yeast infections, then they would tend to react to any scented bath product, not just a sugar based one. So they'd avoid this product anyway. And according to the OBGYN that I consulted on this very subject that is more of an internal imbalance not external to cause it. Now, if the person douched with the straight sugar top (remember that little cap has a lot of water to dissolve into) then they're just asking for trouble, and who in their right mind goes looking for a itchy, fiery va jay jay? :grin2:

Personally, the idea of eggs and sugar in my bath water is a bit repulsive.

If someone really wants to make this sort of bath product, I suggest you do what someone else did.

Order a few cupcakes from http://www.pichposh.com/securestore/c205794.2.html and duplicate them from the enclosed ingredient listing. Then you can pronounce yourself Queen of Cupcakes and whine about others always copying you.

Just a suggestion.

What's wrong with eggs? The meringue powder does have eggs in it but it is hardly the only ingredient. If I don't have to worry about sugar in my bath water, why should I freak out about eggs? Heck, egg whites are great for your skin!

I make bath bombs (pretty good ones, actually) so I guess I can no longer be called the Duchess of de Bath Bomb anymore. *sigh*

Just in case you are worried about eggs, there is also an egg free recipe too on that site. Although sitting in egg whites is hardly a worry for me personally. Its not like you would sit inside for hours on end, each and every day. And why would we buy someone else's product and copy their ingredients so we could call ourselves the queen of whatever (pretty sure they use the same ingredients as everyone else.) Tons of crafters here on Candletech already make bath cupcakes, have done so for years, and they willingly share recipes and we swap ideas. That is what we are here for, not so we can be the Queen of Cupcake Land! It is really absurd for anyone to claim to be the first to do anything bath and body-wise (except perhaps create a fragrance blend,) because somewhere someone else is doing the exact same thing. One can take an idea like bath cupcakes and turn them into something of their own, and even make it better than the last guy. And some just want to be able to make them for home use, and not to sell.

Frankly I would rather sit in eggs and sugar for 20 minutes than sit in some artificial department store bubble bath full of chemicals you can't even pronounce.

Just in case you are worried about eggs, there is also an egg free recipe too on that site. Although sitting in egg whites is hardly a worry for me personally. Its not like you would sit inside for hours on end, each and every day.

I was speaking of a personal preference. Why bother with a bath bomb at all? Just toss a fresh baked cupcake in the tub.

And why would we buy someone else's product and copy their ingredients so we could call ourselves the queen of whatever

I was referring to someone who did EXACTLY what I described.

(pretty sure they use the same ingredients as everyone else.)

No they don't.

Tons of crafters here on Candletech already make bath cupcakes, have done so for years, and they willingly share recipes and we swap ideas. That is what we are here for, not so we can be the Queen of Cupcake Land! It is really absurd for anyone to claim to be the first to do anything bath and body-wise (except perhaps create a fragrance blend,) because somewhere someone else is doing the exact same thing. One can take an idea like bath cupcakes and turn them into something of their own, and even make it better than the last guy. And some just want to be able to make them for home use, and not to sell.

Uh, ok :confused:

Frankly I would rather sit in eggs and sugar for 20 minutes than sit in some artificial department store bubble bath full of chemicals you can't even pronounce.

So, I'm guessing that yours don't bubble and are unscented. Otherwise the dig on unpronounceable ingredients is a bit hypocritical, don't you think?

I'm not cutting down anyone's choice of ingredients. I was just stating an opinion. I'm grossed out by the idea of bathing with frosting. Just one gal's opinion, nothing to get all worked up about.

I guess that falls into the same category as the infamous "soapmaker" declaring how her soaps are cut and the toppings being original to her. I've seen them done that way before her.:rolleyes2

As far as the "cupcake queen" goes, I've seen those post by her. She was complaining about her images being stolen, not being copied from what I recall. I'd be complaining about that too if mine were being stolen.:rolleyes2

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I guess that falls into the same category as the infamous "soapmaker" declaring how her soaps are cut and the toppings being original to her. I've seen them done that way before her.:rolleyes2

As far as the "cupcake queen" goes, I've seen those post by her. She was complaining about her images being stolen, not being copied from what I recall. I'd be complaining about that too if mine were being stolen.:rolleyes2

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Yes, stealing someone else's pictures is an ultimate no no. I would be POed too! I don't know why people still do that, the internet is such a close knit place these days. Someone's bound to notice.

You're very welcome:grin2:

I was speaking of a personal preference. Why bother with a bath bomb at all? Just toss a fresh baked cupcake in the tub.

I was referring to someone who did EXACTLY what I described.

No they don't.

Uh, ok :confused:

So, I'm guessing that yours don't bubble and are unscented. Otherwise the dig on unpronounceable ingredients is a bit hypocritical, don't you think?

I'm not cutting down anyone's choice of ingredients. I was just stating an opinion. I'm grossed out by the idea of bathing with frosting. Just one gal's opinion, nothing to get all worked up about.

I try to stay as natural as possible with my bath soaks, EOs, coconut derived bubbling agents, etc. And as stated before I would much rather sit in what I make than something that was purchased in a department store with ingredients that are not even supposed to be used on skin.

In "my" opinion, once the product has dissolved in a FULL tub of water (we're talking several gallons), the amount of sugar and eggs you are soaking in would be so diluted and miniscule.

I have made this cupcake recipe. The big problem I have, is getting the icing to stick to the top of the cupcake. Once dry, it just falls off. Do you have this problem?

Some of the cakes had dried overnight, and some were freshly made. I got my icing recipe (which is identical to yours) from the Bramble Berry site. I asked them about it, and they said to maybe add more water to the icing so that it was a little softer and wetter. I will try this next time. I did notice that my icing was pretty stiff and set hard really fast. I think I needed more water.

I think a sugar scrub is a bit different that completely soaking your personals in a tub of water that helps 'create' infections. Right? I'm also assuming you do not use sugar scrubs on such sensitive areas. That's something only the gentlest of soaps should be around.

The question really is..does sugar promote infections? Even in small amounts? I would assume that starch products in bathes are also said to do so (to some) because it is a natural sugar & some are basically allergic to these products in the tub.

Now, I'm not sure of that, but how many people come & ask me if my product is safe for kids because they're daughters are frequently visiting the Dr...I think this is a good question to pose.

I would hate someone to come to me and tell me in front of another at a show, that the cupcake gave they're five year old a quick trip to the doctor a few days later.

I just recently tried one from one of those soapers out there.

I have to say this:

First off, the topping doesn't really melt. It gets gloopy like. But that's it.

I did not get any infection, but then again, never have. Not sure about those prone to them. But the one I received said to remove the top if you like and then drop the solid bubblebath in the tub under running water.

I would think that if you are prone to them or have an issue with using food products in a large bath of water (probably minute amount since there is so much water?, it was for me) then one wouldn't use them.

JMO