Anyone pour melts into souffle cups 1oz to avoid shrink wrapping.

Hi all,

I have a lot of tarts to make and I HATE shrink wrapping. Does anyone pour them into one ounce souffle cups and just put a lid on it. Any pictures you would be willing to share if you do? I am trying to make my life easier since I am a full-time teacher and mother of 3. Also, is the plastic okay?

Thanks for any help you offer.

Terri

That's what I've been using lately, and haven't had any problems with them. The only thing is, you can't get 1 ounce of wax in a 1 ounce cup, I know sounds kinda crazy. But actually you can only get 3/4 weighted ounce in a 1 ounce cup.

Here's where I ordered mine from www.instawares.com they are called souffle cups. They have several different styles and sizes, they even have black ones.

I have tons of these, I just ordered a case of them a few weeks ago, if you want a few to try out pm me. I definately think I can spare a few. Just let me know.

HTH

Jennifer

I got these in http://www.webstaurantstore.com/newspring-e1001-ellipso-1-oz-clear-oval-plastic-souffle-cup-1000-cs/128E1001%20%20%20%201M.html they have the needed 5 rating perfect size for scent samples. I didn't get them for my candles but may end up using them for samples.

So you paid about 23.00 for 1,000 of them right? Wow! That is great to know. I will sooooooooooooooooooooo be ordering them.

Thanks guys. CT is the best when I need help.:yay: :yay: :yay:

Terri

If you ship souffle cup melts, you might want to check into protecting them carefully. I received several souffle cup melts in a swap, and the cups were cracked significantly. Didn't affect the melt, of course, but it was a booger to get the melt out of the cracked cup.

Just an FYI. :)

If you ship souffle cup melts, you might want to check into protecting them carefully. I received several souffle cup melts in a swap, and the cups were cracked significantly. Didn't affect the melt, of course, but it was a booger to get the melt out of the cracked cup.

Just an FYI. :)

Thanks for the tip.

Terri

I get mine at Sams Club. I bought 2 oz clear cups and fill them a little over half full or so. I was using the black ones but I pulled out some that I made back in April (my own private stash) and the cups were cracked. Not sure why though.

I prefer the cups for those who have bigger bowls to melt the tarts in. I use clamshells for those with smaller bowls so they can just plop a square or two in without over flowing the bowl.

I get mine at Sams Club. I bought 2 oz clear cups and fill them a little over half full or so. I was using the black ones but I pulled out some that I made back in April (my own private stash) and the cups were cracked. Not sure why though.

I prefer the cups for those who have bigger bowls to melt the tarts in. I use clamshells for those with smaller bowls so they can just plop a square or two in without over flowing the bowl.

Jami, do you know about how much they cost at Sams Club? My hubby goes in there a couple times a month, I might just have to have him pick me up some. :)

Don't forget the cute little lid

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/newspring-e1001ld-ellipso-1-oz-clear-oval-plastic-souffle-lid-1000-cs/128E1001LD%20%201M.html

All the rest of the cups I looked at didn't have the rating and where sold in sets of 5000 for about $40 and you still had to buy the lid separately.

Last question,

It says that these are OVAL which is what I want. I was hoping for something like the shape of the 2 oz. size. I bought some round 1 oz. size at GFS and I think people will think they are not getting as much tart even though my "tarts" are one ounce and the containers hold one ounce. You know customers, if they look smaller they will want to pay less. Am I making sense. I guess I am looking for something similar to tart size. Thanks for your help. I totally appreciate it.

Terri

Here is the 2oz one http://www.webstaurantstore.com/newspring-e1002-ellipso-2-oz-clear-oval-plastic-souffle-cup-1000-cs/128E1002%20%20%20%201M.html just put 1 ounce in it. You have to figure with the specific gravity weight of wax that the 1 ouncer is not really going to hold a full ounce of wax it will only hold I think .8 of an ounce.

Cracking is caused by FO breaking down the plastic. I store leftovers for personal use in various plastic cups from drinking glasses to souffle cups. Sometimes, when I get around to using them, they will be mush and the plastic will practically dissolve in your hand (or at least tear open) while other times they are cracked from top to bottom. Not all FO's have the same effect or time line. Sometimes you can see a reaction in days, other times it may be weeks. Knowing that customers sometime hoard their goodies, I can't quite trust them over the long haul for tarts...though life would be much easier!

• 2 weeks later...
I got these in http://www.webstaurantstore.com/newspring-e1001-ellipso-1-oz-clear-oval-plastic-souffle-cup-1000-cs/128E1001%20%20%20%201M.html they have the needed 5 rating perfect size for scent samples. I didn't get them for my candles but may end up using them for samples.

Vicky,

I emailed the Webstaurant Store regarding the black oval #E1001B souffle cups. They emailed me back saying they had called the manufacturer and mfgr. said they have a #6 on cup, nothing on lid. So you are saying the clear ones have a #5 on cup, right? I would prefer the black ones.

I have some #5 polypropelene clear cups and when I pop the tart out, it then leaves a frosted look (for lack of better description), on the cup which I don't like, so I would prefer the black, but I'm not sure if the #6 (polystyrene) will hold the scent as well and be as durable. What is your, or anyone else's opinion on the #6?

Vicky,

I emailed the Webstaurant Store regarding the black oval #E1001B souffle cups. They emailed me back saying they had called the manufacturer and mfgr. said they have a #6 on cup, nothing on lid. So you are saying the clear ones have a #5 on cup, right? I would prefer the black ones.

I have some #5 polypropelene clear cups and when I pop the tart out, it then leaves a frosted look (for lack of better description), on the cup which I don't like, so I would prefer the black, but I'm not sure if the #6 (polystyrene) will hold the scent as well and be as durable. What is your, or anyone else's opinion on the #6?

was the frosted look maybe from pouring to cool? or are they soy?

Cracking is caused by FO breaking down the plastic. I store leftovers for personal use in various plastic cups from drinking glasses to souffle cups. Sometimes, when I get around to using them, they will be mush and the plastic will practically dissolve in your hand (or at least tear open) while other times they are cracked from top to bottom. Not all FO's have the same effect or time line. Sometimes you can see a reaction in days, other times it may be weeks. Knowing that customers sometime hoard their goodies, I can't quite trust them over the long haul for tarts...though life would be much easier!

Does any one know if the #5 ones crack too?

I don't use soy, but a paraffin blend for my tarts. Wouldn't soy be too difficult to pop out, unless you use a soy blend or a soy tart type wax, or put them in the freezer first? I've never made a soy or soy blend tart. I poured my wax at 150*. Keep in mind, though, the clear cups I poured mine into (just for testing, haven't sold any of these yet). are not the same cups we are discussing. These were polypropylene #5. I suppose the "frosted" look is not extremely important, since most customers won't pop them out until ready for use anyway, unless they just want to smell them from the bottom. I'm just wondering when using the clear ones, if over a period of time during shipping or moving them around, even without popping them out, if the wax might pull away and leave this "frosted", messy look. Guess I'll have to pour a couple and let them sit and move around for a while to see. I am eager to order some of these from Webstaurant Store, but am afraid of the clear ones, and they told me the black ones are #6, so I'm still unsure which to order. I am just so tired of shrink wrapping, although they do look so much more professional. It is so time consuming that you really don't make enough money for all the labor involved, and time is worth money.

I use the 2oz solo cups that I got from Costco but I only use them as the mold. I also use those 30cc plastic medicine cups to measure out my fo and got the brilliant idea to use them as tart molds as well. They come out really cute, even though you can see the measurements in the wax lol!

ANgi

Vicky,

I am sitting here looking at it it has a 5 in the little triangle with the arrows. I just buy the clear ones. I took a chance when I originally bought them but then what I am using them for I do not need the 5 I just like that they where microwavable. I would never use the ones with the 6 they will not hold up to the FO and I am affraid they will morph the scent after a little while the vanilla mostly.

Vicky

I would like to put oval labels on these lids. If you don't mind, since you have one on hand, will you measure the inside flat area that oval labels could be applied to. Then I can see if I can find oval labels that will fit. I'd like to get my labeling possibilities lined up before I order the cups. TIA

Thanks for the imput on the #6.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on Recycle # for black oval souffle cups:

As posted earlier, Webstaurant emailed me that these cups have a #6 on them. I ordered the clear and decided to order the black to test out also. Unless they have changed, the manufacturer misinformed Webstaurant. You could easily see the #5 on the clear cups, but the black ones (not see-thru), were much more difficult to read, so I, with my magnifying glass and a flashlight thought it read #5. Just to be sure, I asked a friend who sells jewelry to look at it with his magnifier (whatever the thing is called), and tell me what # he saw in the triangle. He saw the #5, also.

Just wanted to correct this for those interested in ordering these.

I ordered the 1 oz size. They will hold only 20 grams of wax. More than this and you would have a problem with the lid closing properly without touching the wax. The lids are clear for the clear and black cups. There is a #3 on the lid, but not in a triangle, so apparently is not the recycle #, so I'm not sure how well the lids will hold in the scent....will see in time. The lids are much better quality, though, and more durable that the Dixie solo type cups.

The cups are slanted, so are bigger at the top than the bottom. The 1 oz cups are approximately 1-1/4" high. I have always made the 1 oz size tarts, so I have ordered the 2 oz cups also (on the way). to see how they will look with 1 oz of wax. I don't really want to change my formulas, make them any larger, nor go up on prices. I'm quessing the 2 oz ones will hold 40 grams and I'm not "giving away" 10 extra grams of highly scented wax for the same price. I will probably use the 1 oz.(20g) ones for smaller sampler sizes.

Another tip: Webstaurant was not too quick about getting orders out, so don't wait to the last minute to order. Both orders took about a week before they were actually shipped out of their warehouse. HTH