Need Feedback on Recipe please...

ilovescents

Hi everyone,

I have been learning how to use the MMS Lye Calculator, thanks to a lot of very nice patient people on this board. :) Calling the experts once again to check my recipe before I try it. I want to get rid of OO from my recipe due to the expense and what I've read about RBO as a wonderful substitute. I'm also looking to cut down on cost without sacrificing quality. These are the cheaper ingredients. I also like to do larger batches to save on time and effort. Oh, I only do CPHP if that matters. What do you think of the outcome based on this recipe. Thanks so much!

8 Lb Batch

Canola oil 26.7 oz (36.9%)

Coconut oil 29.4 oz (22.9%)

Castor oil 6 oz (4.7%)

RBO 21.4 oz (16.7%)

Shea Butter 2.6 oz (2%)

Soy Bean oil 21.4% (16.7%)

I just went to soapcalc9.com and your hardenss is a 28 which would be tooo soft. Also, too much canola can cause DOS (dreaded orange spots)

so I refigured a bit for you adding in some lard and shifting around your soft oils.

coconut 25%

castor 5%

canola 10%

soybean 10%

rbo 10%

lard 35%

shea 5%

42 hardness

17 cleansing

53 conditioning

22 bubbly lather

29 creamy lather

iodine 65

ins 145

Hope you don't mind my reconfiguting your whole recipe?

There is a tab at soapcal9- soap qualities and a mock recipe and will give you the range that you should think about when creating a recipe.

http://www.soapcalc.com/soapqualities.asp

If you click back to soapcalc9 tab you can select oils from list and it will give you qualities on the left. at the right you can put in percentages of each oil you choose.

Have a look around.

Oh forgot, I am no expert but have made a few successful batches.

I just went to soapcalc9.com and your hardenss is a 28 which would be tooo soft. Also, too much canola can cause DOS (dreaded orange spots)

so I refigured a bit for you adding in some lard and shifting around your soft oils.

coconut 25%

castor 5%

canola 10%

soybean 10%

rbo 10%

lard 35%

shea 5%

42 hardness

17 cleansing

53 conditioning

22 bubbly lather

29 creamy lather

iodine 65

ins 145

Hope you don't mind my reconfiguting your whole recipe?

There is a tab at soapcal9- soap qualities and a mock recipe and will give you the range that you should think about when creating a recipe.

http://www.soapcalc.com/soapqualities.asp

If you click back to soapcalc9 tab you can select oils from list and it will give you qualities on the left. at the right you can put in percentages of each oil you choose.

Have a look around.

Oh forgot, I am no expert but have made a few successful batches.

You are just awesome! I just went to Walmart today and was staring at the huge tub of Lard and thinking of maybe adding it to my soap recipe, lol. Thanks so much. I'll be visiting the soap calc to really learn how to create a soap recipe. That sounds like fun :). BTW, can lard potentially cause any unpleasant odor in soap - like fishy smell? Was wondering what makes my CP batches still smell like fish when it hits the water. I made a couple CP batches when I first started 6 months ago and still smell fishy (only when I use it in the shower). My CPHP never smells like that. Could it be the high Canola I'm using? Thanks for taking the time to post.

I agree that your original recipe needed a bit of changing. It was way high on oils that can create soft soaps (soy + canola). I love lard and while some complain of a smell from it I've never noted any (I get my lard in those big tubs from WalMart once a year so it's stored in my garage for a while but still no odor). But I've heard the odor described as piggy not fishy. Fishy makes me think one of your oils was rancid or there was something funky about your FO. I've had batches smell fishy in the mold but it has always gone away.

I agree that your original recipe needed a bit of changing. It was way high on oils that can create soft soaps (soy + canola). I love lard and while some complain of a smell from it I've never noted any (I get my lard in those big tubs from WalMart once a year so it's stored in my garage for a while but still no odor). But I've heard the odor described as piggy not fishy. Fishy makes me think one of your oils was rancid or there was something funky about your FO. I've had batches smell fishy in the mold but it has always gone away.

You're too nice :). My original recipe needed complete revamping, lol! I will try the lard in a small batch for now. Is there a vegan oil I can sub for the lard?. Thanks a lot.

I swap lard and palm oil around. I don't know how the numbers stack up but I get comparable results in my recipes. There are environmental issues with palm but there is some issue with just about everything.

ETA: just looked and soapcalc thinks they are comparable... but then in another thread I just said I don't put much store by soapcalc's projections...