Turkey Fryer for Soap?

Grumpy Girl

So, I'm thinking that I can seriously cut back on some soap making time if I buy another turkey fryer to use to master - batch my soaping oils in. I think I can get about 45-47 pounds of oils in it at a time. Does anyone use one already for this and if so, do you like it or hate it?

Yes, turk n surf... I like to keep my oils melted but cool, just personal preference really. I never have liked soaping with cold oils and letting the lye melt them. When I master-batched in a pot, I found it hard to get what I needed out, and thought this would be ace since it had a spout and would stay mixed better warm and I could just measure as needed.

The way I do it now sucks making multiple batches. I'm trying to save myself time.

Guess I'll buy another and if it doesn't work as planned I can use it for soy wax only.

I definitely want to hear how it works for you. I keep contemplating making a master batch, but it starts to resolidify when cool, and I was worried about heating/cooling/heating/cooling too often. However, I'm making soap often enough now that I, too, am tired of prepping each batch separately.

So let us know how this works for you!!!

I do that and I love it! I read about the turkey fryer a while back on the candle forum and thought it would work with soaping so I bought one (making sure it was one with a spout at the bottom). I put all my oils in there for the "master batch" and then melt them. I have small plastic painting buckets w/lids from home depot and I measure out enough for one batch in each bucket. I have 10 buckets stacked in the corner and when I am ready to soap I pour in my measured premixed lye into the bucket and get to soaping. It is a huge timesaver! Before the turkey fryer I did try some "on sale" oil fryer thing-no spout and man what a mess trying to scoop the oils into the buckets even after cooled. I am a huge spout advocate lol.

Don't know but I bought one at KMart, look at Linens n Things and Bed Bath and Beyond they have coupons for % off all the time. You may find them on clearance if all other candle makers haven't bought them up.

Love the ideal of making a master batch and keeping in containers till ready to use. Thanks for the tip. I make so little at a time a presto would work for a master mix. Now to find the one with a spout.

Can't wait to hear how this works out for you Grumpy....I have a brand new one sitting in the box that I bought for making candles but have never gotten around to using it. Using it for soap would thrill me! Let us know how it works for you!

I saw a soap melter at Michaels one day for about $40? Was very tempted to get it. But I kept thinking why couldn't you use a presto pot or a turkey roaster to keep your bases melted?

You can. Well, at least you can use the Presto. I don't really see why you couldn't use the Turkey Fryer either unless it gets too hot.. you REALLY don't want your MP base to get too hot. If you can control the temp and keep it down to where it just barely melts the soap, I'd say you could easily use either of them then. I use a Presto all the time for MP. I have three for MP and 6 for candles now. I really really really need to get a turkey fryer. Maybe Santa will bring me one this year! LOL. I'm running out of room for my prestos!