Direct Heat Wax Melter Help!

I have an 80 lb water jacketed wax melter that I bought a little over 3 years ago. Not only does this thing give off emmense heat but we have had to fix the welds on the thing multiple times this year because it started leaking. Now, my heating element has gone out and instead of paying $150 for a new element, I was thinking about investing in a direct heat melter. Was thinking about going with one that was bigger and holds at least 100 lbs-150 lbs. I am in Texas and BCS only carries the water jacketed. Besides candlesandsupplies.com, anyone know where I can get a good price on one that might be closer to home? Any cons? Any pros? I like that they say that they pull less electricity and they are cool to the touch on the outside of the heater. I have burned myself countless times on the one I have now. Any help would be appreciated!

I have a 300lb water jacket melter, and your right, it does throw off crazy heat. I had to have a box built around it, and insulated it so that we can keep the pouring room cooler. I also have a 150lb cougar melter. I LOVE the cougar. It's a direct heat, and does not throw off any heat at all. I would highly recommend the cougar. It's also digital, and very accurate. We use it for gel, and the other melter for wax. I will be buying another cougar for votive wax within the next few months. Now they are pricey ($1000? I think), but they only use the hydro of a coffee maker, so you will save in the long run. Plus they don't throw any heat off, and have a lid.

Chris,

Have you had any problems with your water jacketed? I just cut the wax out of mine since the element is out and it's leaking water AGAIN! :mad: Mine is the rectangle one and wondering if maybe a round one would be better if I went with water jacketed.

As far as the Cougar, do you find that it burns the wax at all or changes the color of the wax? One site said that you should turn off the direct heat melters after each use as it may change the color of the wax over prolonged exposure to heat. Wonder how long prolonged exposure is! How long have you had the Cougar? Any problems at all?

I've had the cougar for 2 years. Last year a resistor went, but they UPS'd one for free. I dial it down every night, but I never shut it off. I bought the bubbler as well, it just blows big bubbles in the wax to it moves the wax around. Now mine has gel in it, so I can't tell ya for wax. My water jacket burned out both elements about 4 years aog, and that cost be a ton to get 2 new ones. But other than that no issues. Mines round. When it dies again though, I'll replace it with a cougar. The water jacket ones throw way to much heat off, and we have 3 air conditions running all the time. Mind you my shop it big.

But the cougar is square, and sits on a table (has legs) It's digital, so it sits at 180 and I dial it up to 205 when I want to pour (gel is at hight temps) My water jacket ones in container wax, and we have it dialsed to 175 all the time.

I have a 150 water jacketed melter for just over 4 years and have yet to change the element but...I only use distilled water to prevent mineral build up on the element which is what causes them to wear out fast. As for the heat, guess i must have gotten used to it cause I don't even notice it anymore. As for the leaks, i guess you must have gotten a melter with a flaw. I got mine from Candlewic but here is a site i've bookmarked that has melters http://www.pvcandlequip.com/pages/8valve.shtml?=4

I have a 300lb water jacket melter, and your right, it does throw off crazy heat. I had to have a box built around it, and insulated it so that we can keep the pouring room cooler. I also have a 150lb cougar melter. I LOVE the cougar. It's a direct heat, and does not throw off any heat at all. I would highly recommend the cougar. It's also digital, and very accurate. We use it for gel, and the other melter for wax. I will be buying another cougar for votive wax within the next few months. Now they are pricey ($1000? I think), but they only use the hydro of a coffee maker, so you will save in the long run. Plus they don't throw any heat off, and have a lid.

I have the same cougar melter and have had it for 3 years I love mine I would be no where with out it. It melts the wax fast and will keep it at any temp I set it at.

We have two 65 lb CES direct heat melters. Love them. One is seven years old, and the other is five. Never had any problems. CES is in Washington state. As I recall they cost around $1000 each. Takes about three hours to melt 60 pounds of container wax to 200 degrees. and about four for pillar. Absolutely love them.

I build my own water jacket melters. I have 9 10Kg vats with pour spouts in the first one. 9 10Kg, 2 40Kg 3 8Kg pouring vats and 9 10 Kg overdip vats. Coated the water tank with spray on bed liner inside and spray on closed cell foam on the outside. The engineering was a challenge on the big one, but both use a 1500 watt hot water heater element that costs under

$10. Costs about $20 a month to run. I cool the whole room with a tiny window unit.

• 4 weeks later...