FO supplier question(s)

Tereasa

Hello...

I use several companies for my FO for candles. CS, DS, KY, AH, MC, Peak, etc.

I've read the sticky about scents that rock in CP soap. There aren't any listed from Candle Science or Aroma Haven. I think I read, during my research, that it's best to go with a FO company that tests in CP soap, which makes sense.

So, for those who make both soap and candles... do you use different suppliers for FO for each? I know I have to test my own, I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks for taking the time to read and (hopefully) respond!

I just started making soap and was using my candle scents in them,and just wasn't too happy with any of the ones I used, some didn't smell like anything that they were suppose to be, most changed colors terribly, I didn't have much luck at all. Then I started reading the soap suppliers web-sites and most of them test only in cp soap. I have started using OT, and am very happy with their scent,,,,although the shipping is very slow. They don't use UPS or USPS. So, if you can order about two weeks ahead of the time you need your stuff, they are great. I am gonna try some more soap making suppliers, at least with the descriptions they give, you kinda know what to expect, and when you are just starting out, that is important.

I also order from the suppliers you listed and a few others. However, I'm so new at cp that I'm using only fo's that I have either read good reviews about here or on the supplier sites. I got several fo's from Backwoods that had the cp test results and have been happy with them. I'll wait and go out on my own with testing other fo's after I get better at the whole process itself and nail down a recipe I want to keep as my favorite.

Several of us are in an AH/RE soap swap on another board (a soaping forum); we should have lots of results from that in a few weeks here.

I've soaped the Celtic Moonspice body safe version. It d's because of the vanilla, but no a. Edited to add: I did soap cool because I was wary of the spice content and spices tend to accelerate. But I had no problems with a.

I love the scent review board, this boards "scents that rock" thread to get a launch point for candle/soap fo's. My friend does candles and I thought I could use his fo's but after some research-not so much. I didnt want to trash an entire batch so I made a 3lb basic batch and used plastic cups to put some raw soap and then a little fo in each cup for testing scents. The morph possibilities are color, scent, texture and some volcano's. I decided those were the visable morphs and had concern about what chemical things could be going on that I couldnt see. I now just buy cp tested fo's (by supplier testing or several thumbs up by soapers) for my soaps. I have found some nice ones here at peak and gemlite that are considered candle fo's and have seen some soapers reference the suppliers you listed. It is hit or miss but if you can find ones others have tested, test them yourself in your recipe then you have a candle/soap winner. If I did candles I would be tracking down dual fo's too making a spreadsheet for the ones that work in both-I cant imagine buying expensive fo's for both products!!

:drool: Oh! Backwoods fo's are wonderful. I bought several a while back during a sale. I'll definitely have to reorder.

Being new at cp, I truly appreciated the cp comments on the fo descriptions for Backwoods and found them to be accurate. I had put the Cucumber Mint in a sugar scrub, but yesterday I did it in cp. When I went out on my utility porch this a.m. to unmold, I was hit by this amazingly fresh fragrance.

I've also gotten nice results from their Tropical Tango, Amazingly Graceful, Lilac, Backwoods Blue, and Passionfruit & Guava. So far, the scent is holding strong in all of these after several weeks on the racks. :yay: