Testing 1oz samples

soycool

Well, it took me several yrs to get it through my thick skull, but I just won't stick w/ any fo that won't work well at 1oz pp of wax. It's a waste of $, in my book. I think of it like salt ... the right amount enhances the taste, but too much ruins the dish. Before I dropped down to 1oz pp I re-tested all my fo's & actually found most of them had a better throw when I didn't max out at 1.5oz pp. I used to do the math & adjust my wax to match a 1oz sample of fo, but I would highly suggest testing 1oz fo to 1lb wax.

Susan.

I've never needed more than 1 oz pp with candlescience fragrances. In fact, I was able to test 1 oz of their fragrance with an 8 oz jar (same as candlebuddy), then use a couple drops for body butter and the other half oz for a lb of soap. THAT's a great way to test an ounce of fragrance!!!

-Kristi

When I ordered my CS 99 centers I ordered one oz only of different scents. What is the most effective way to test one ounce samples. I almost always use 11/2 ounce per pound.

Just curious

Natalie

Another option is to make a small amount of tarts and test that for scent and hot/cold throw. I know it is a pain to make a few tarts in every scent, but that way to can decide which scents are winners before you go to the trouble of making the candle, wasting wax, etc. on a scent that you aren't happy with.

I started out using 1.5oz per pound too ... then eventually started weeding out fo's that were weak at 1oz per pound and began tweeking the fo to wax ratio. NowI use ... 15oz wax + 1oz fo = 1 pound.

I should probably add that I use a 50/50 soy blend (www.candlesuppliesbyfarmhouse.com).

I agree with TxSioux ... my candles are better since I cut back on the fo ... I read from someone on this board that "less is more" ... I'm glad I took that advice.

Great suggestions!! I think I am in a state of MUST have hot throw so I push the limit of my usage, I totally agree that is not economical, and I also agree that in the past all of my CS fo's have worked with 1 oz pp. My mantra for now needs to be less is more.

nat

I don't make tarts, but from what I've heard, I wouldn't trust a test on a tart to be representative of how any fo will perform in a wicked candle. I know many candlemakers who can't get a good throw from a candle & use up a 'weak' fo for tarts. I'd think you'd go reverse & test in a wicked candle for throw, cause if it works w/ a wick then it will work even better in a tart. I don't think any answer is 'wrong', this is just a good cross-section of what works best for everyone else.

Susan.

I'm with ya on that one. I know if the fo has an awesome hot scent throw in a candle with a wick, it will certainly work in a tart.

Same here.

I owe you big time Candlebuddy for mentioning Candle Science on the board, because of your recommendation, they have become a major supplier for me. Love their stuff.

I'm using an 8 oz metro jars so wax amount used for me is anywhere from 5.5-6oz of wax per tester. Using about 8% fragrance load or equivalent to about 1.3 oz per lb. So, I'm using .45 oz of fragrance per tester.