No Hot Throw

I am having some troubles getting any hot throw in my candles. I can't figure out if it's my wax or maybe I am not letting them cure long enough? I am using FO from Peaks. I know it works well with this wax because the woman who I used to buy my candles from (and who taught me how to make them) used the same wax and FO, so I know it throws. She uses more than the recommended amount of FO per pound and I wonder if that's what it is. I use 1.5 oz and she used 2.5 oz. (Nu-Scents recommends 1.5 oz). I let the candles cure for two days (I'm a bit anxious :) and am using CSN wicks from Candle Science. Does anyone have any idea as to why I cannot get a good hot throw? It seems to work ok in small rooms but will not fill up my living room like the candles of hers that I have burned. I'm puzzled and really frustrated!

I am having some troubles getting any hot throw in my candles. I can't figure out if it's my wax or maybe I am not letting them cure long enough? I am using FO from Peaks. I know it works well with this wax because the woman who I used to buy my candles from (and who taught me how to make them) used the same wax and FO, so I know it throws. She uses more than the recommended amount of FO per pound and I wonder if that's what it is. I use 1.5 oz and she used 2.5 oz. (Nu-Scents recommends 1.5 oz). I let the candles cure for two days (I'm a bit anxious :) and am using CSN wicks from Candle Science. Does anyone have any idea as to why I cannot get a good hot throw? It seems to work ok in small rooms but will not fill up my living room like the candles of hers that I have burned. I'm puzzled and really frustrated!

What wax are you using? How hot are you heating your wax? At what temperature are you adding the fragrance oil to the heated wax?

I don't know about your wax, but I'll share my recent experience. I was trying out a new wax and couldn't get it to throw or to burn right. Wicks were struggling so much and if I wicked up enough for it not to struggle, no throw. With my old wax, I was't adding FO at a very high temp and got a great throw and burn. Then a fellow candletech member was kind enough to help me and it appeared I was adding and pouring at too low of a temp for this wax. So now I tried adding FO at 187 stir well and pour right away. And now I get a really strong throw and for some reason no struggling at all even with a smaller wick. Made a huge difference. So maybe that would help you.

Very light hot throw, with lavender essential oils. I used two tsp. this was with soy wax. I am still unsure about using essential oils, plus don't believe it would be that cost effective. Any opinions??

Was a bit disappointed with that one.:confused:

Very light hot throw, with lavender essential oils. I used two tsp. this was with soy wax. I am still unsure about using essential oils, plus don't believe it would be that cost effective. Any opinions??

Was a bit disappointed with that one.:confused:

AAngels, poor hot throw in soy candles with EOs are a totally different topic from no hot throw in palm wax with FOs... you might want to start a new topic for this problem...

EOs and FOs should be measured by weight and not by teaspoonfuls (volume). Since I have no idea of how much wax to which you added the 2 teaspoonfuls, I don't know if this is a lot or a little... EOs typically do not throw as well as FOs. It is best to first inquire of the supplier if their EOs have been tested in soy wax candles - some work well, some don't. Ask what amount of their EOs they recommend to use. All essential oils are NOT created equal!! Wicking may be a problem also. If you can provide a little more information, perhaps we could offer more specific ideas for you to try...

She uses more than the recommended amount of FO per pound and I wonder if that's what it is. I use 1.5 oz and she used 2.5 oz. (Nu-Scents recommends 1.5 oz)
Jeeze, KW!! With 2.5 oz. pp of FO, she had BETTER get some kind of a throw!! Personally, if I cannot get a decent throw with 1 oz. per pound, I use another FO...:rolleyes2

I have never used NuScent's palm wax, but have been using Peak's FOs in palm wax for a couple of years now with good results. Some individual FOs throw better than do others. We use CDN wicks.

Realize that whether a candle's scent "fills the room" is dependent on a lot of factors besides the composition of the candle: air conditioning, air temperature, whether or not you have "candle nose", humidity level, etc.

If you want your candles to perform identically to your friend's, then you would have to use the exact same amount of FO and the exact same wicks in the exact same wax in the exact same mold or container...

I do agree with Stella kw.....if I can't get a decent throw with 1oz. ppw of fo then I opt for a different fo. Since I started testing palm wax, I have always, it seems to get a fairly decent throw with 1oz. ppw. and I also use the CSN 9's double wicking (so far) my apothecary jars. So far so good! Sometimes,depending on the scent,I only use 1/2oz.ppw and still get some fairly good results....keep on testing....boy I hate hearing that but it is so true. :grin2:

Mike

Thank you everyone! I never even thought of the air conditioning and now that I think of it...the vent blows against the candle. I guess that would explain why I'm not getting much of a throw in there, huh haha. Thanks again.

Had a customer complaint about a candle not throwing. Took another one to her house. She had the one she complained about sitting on a table - right in front of the air return for the central air conditioner.

We moved it to the furthest point in the room (away from the return) and were treated to a room full of scent in just a few minutes!