Really Bad Sunburn

CBE

My son went swimming yesterday... and got a really bad sunburn on his back. He was only outside for TWO HOURS. He's in so much pain.

I've been giving him Tylenol to help with the pain. First... I rubbed him down with Aloe. He complained because it said it made his back feel like he had a big bandaid on it... lol poor thing... it made his skin tight... and he literally couldn't move. Next is the Noxema. I've been rubbing Noxema on him... I can't even rub it in... because he screams. So, I just apply it as much as I can all over his back... and it seems to help a bit... but not much.

I've searched on here and seen vinegar as a remedy. I have regular distilled vinegar, and apple cider vinegar. Which one is best in your opinion? What about Witch Hazel?

I would rather make him a spray so I don't have to rub anything in.

I also was thinking of Lavender EO... cause one time, I burned myself cooking and I poured the Lavender EO straight on the burn... and the pain stopped instantly.

I'm also wondering about boiling some dried calendula leaves in water... letting it cool, and adding it to the vinegar.

Do you think this sounds good?

I was going to tell you vinegar to. it stings so bad for the first few seconds but then it helps soothe the burn quicker. i think making milk comprosse are an option to....your poor son hope he feels better soon!!! i think apple cider vinegar is the better one for the skin

I got really bad sunburned earlier this year and I remembered my grandmother always using apple cider vinegar when I was a child and I used that and I didn't even peel. It still hurt a little that evening but nothing like it did before I used it, when I woke up the next morning I didn't even know I was burned. You could try it but I would make sure their isnt any noxema on his skin it might not react well with vinegar. Just my experiences though

I once had a terrible sunburn when in the Bahamas & the first aid people there told me to buy a bottle of Vodka & soak washclothes with it & dab it all over my skin. It actually helped!!!!(ok, the codeine/tylenols they gave me helped too!) I've heard that cucumbers are cool & soothing. Maybe put some in a blender & make a spread? Gosh, I hope he feels better soon. It does take a few days though, for a bad sunburn to stop hurting. Poor thing.

I diluted white vinegar with water (50/50), and put it in a spray bottle. I used that when I was sunburned, and it made me feel a lot better. I just kept spraying it on whenever I wanted to. After a few days, I switched to spray on aloe gel I put in the fridge...now THAT felt so good on my skin!!!

Ok.. tried the vinegar. He cried... he said it stung... itched... and burned. :confused: Infused my calendula herb in boiling water. I let it cool... strained it.... and put it in a spray bottle. I just sprayed him with it and no crying... no stinging... no burning. His face looked relieved.

Now all I need is to moisturize it. I'm leary about any kind of lotion or butters... IMO... oil will just retain the heat. Maybe it might be best to keep doing the calendula tea until tomorrow... then try to moisturize.

I think I'll try to make a lotion from scratch...using the calendula tea. Now off to find a recipe!!!

Yup, stay away from the butters and lotions for now. It will hold in the heat.

Did you water down the vinegar? I had no stinging with the vinegar, and it really did help. Maybe do a 30/70 mix or something.

You can do cold compresses, that will keep the heat down.

Poor thing....hope he feels better soon. Sunburn sucks, and it sure teaches a painful lesson. I had a really bad burn in June, so I know how he feels!

Gosh... I just made my first lotion from scratch. LOL Found a recipe on the sage and tweaked it a bit to my taste. Came out awesome! I won't use it on him until maybe tomorrow... hopefully it helps him. I'll post the recipe in the Recipe Catagory.

Yep, stay away from any butters. Learned that the hard way! It does keep the heat in. What about stuff they'd use for bad baby diaper rash? The spray you made him sounds good. Maybe throw it in the fridge for a while & then spritz him. My son just got his first sunburn recently. He's so fair & I did slather waterproof sunscreen on him, but I guess it wasn't enough. Tylenol did nothing for him. I tried a paste of zinc oxide & put it on the burnt area & then shook johnson's cornstarch powder on top of it. He said it really helped, but what a MESS!!!!! I hope your son heals soon!

I really need to invest in Emu Oil. I hear so much good things about it!

I let him try the lotion I made... he rubbed his hands down... he begged me to rub his back with it. LOL So I put it in the fridge for a few minutes before applying it to his back. I was as gentle as I could be... but I guess it's inflammed and sensitive. I rubbed him down good with it... and he hasn't complained since. Wow. I also keep spraying the Calendula Tea on him constantly. I think the combo of the Calendula/Green Tea/Chamomile Lotion and Calendula Tea Spray is really working on him.

Thanks for all the advice guys!! I appreciate it!!:grin2:

Don't use the vinegar straight on the skin...dilute it with some cold water, and maybe if you have some lavendar essential oil add it to it (after all the person who discovered its effects had burnt his hand and then dipped it into a vessel that lavendar oil.) and then use it as a compress....

otherwise good luck with the calendula experiments, and i hope he gets better soon!

As someone mentioned earlier about the baby butt paste...DESITIN! I am a desitin fanatic lol. I use it all the time not just for the baby's rashes but for burns as well and it works wonderfully even if it is a bit messy. And speaking of anti-inflammatories, Aleve would be even better than your Motrin as it has Naproxen in it which is a better anti-inflammatory.

Angi