Soy/parasoy labelling

I have a question about how you label candles made with soy blends. If it is 50/50, 70/30, or any other combination of soy and paraffin, do you still call it a soy candle. I am still in the testing stage with so many different waxes, but just wondered how much paraffin can be in it before you have to stop calling it a soy candle.

Thanks

Kathy

Because there are so many people looking for natural wax candles made of soy I don't label it as soy unless it is soy (which includes soy with additives from the manufacturer).

IN MY OPINION any mix of soy with paraffin takes it out of the soy category. I think it should be clearly labeled as parasoy - because that's what it is. There are too many people with respiratory problems who are sensitive to paraffin and they shouldn't be misled by a label.

I think any amount of paraffin in a soy makes it no longer what most people think of when they ask for a "soy candle." So if I were going to put what type of wax I use on my lable I would state it is a parasoy wax. I use to make parasoy candles and I didn't list what type of wax I used on my lables. If anyone asked I was always honest with them and stated parasoy. Then I explained why I used that blend.

same here, Mine will be called parasoys. I do have customers who cannot burn anything but pure soy so I have to make sure they dont get mixed up. Most other people dont care as long as they smell good and last a long time!!

tootie

I list ingredients (when I know them) in the order of their amount, much as you see on other labeling. If the candle has more than one type of wax, I mention this in the description of the item. I don't use paraffin, but I frequently mix in beeswax or palm wax. So if it is a 80/20 blend of soy and palm, I would call that a soy wax-based vegetable wax blend, or a soy & palm wax blend; or a soy, palm and beeswax blend; or simply a vegetable wax blend. HTH :)

You can call it whatever you like. The exact materials in the blend don't matter for any practical reason except that a few customers are under the sway of a fad. Mainly it's been certain candlemakers and the soybean growers associations trying to teach the consumer to care about the wax.

One of the prominent soybean boards will certify your product as a "genuine soy candle" if it has at least 70% hydrogenated or esterified soy oil in it. I'd certainly go with that definition whether you get the certification or not.