silly question (i'm still discovering the world of B&B) but what is the diffrence...

between foaming bath butter, and cream soaps(not the ones that solidfy). I was looking at the cover of "Making cream soap" by catherine failore online, and the soaps look just like foaming bath butters.

Except for the inclusion of lye in the cream soaps, how big is the diffrence between the two:confused:

what do you mean its not a cleansing product? When I look it up online it says in the descriptions, maybe I have been using it wrong in my descriptions then :embarasse :

Foaming Bath Butter is a wonderful new unique product, brought to you by The Chemistry Store. This is the latest in cream soap technology. Don't miss the newest innovation in the personal care industry. It is a versatile new base that can be formulated into many different finished products. It has some unique properties:

• Luxurious- Creamy cleansing product with the consistency of butter
  • Versatile- Can be used as a moisturizing body cleanser or as a shave cream

Some of its suggested uses are:

• Sugar Scrubs
  • Salt Scrubs
  • Body Meringues
  • Body Parfaits
  • Exfoliating Scrubs

Well excuse me for being incorrect.

By looking at the ingredients it doesn't look like soap.

INCI: Glycerin, Distilled Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sorbitol, Propylene Glycol, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

The only thing that looks like a soap ingredient is the sodium cocoyl isethionate. That must be what makes is so incredibly drying to my skin. The cleansing properties of coconut oil.

I was really interested to see this post, I was going to ask some questions about FBB. When I bought some it felt lovely and squidgy, I have used it as it is, I have made a scrub with it adding loads of olive oil but it is really very drying. It at first looks and feels as if it is very moisturising. I put so much olive oil in it I thought it was too much but it seemed to absorb it and make the oil disapear, very odd. Unless I see something soon I think I will give up on it

No, I was not trying to be rude, I was just asking becuase I had thought by the products listing that it was a type of cleanser and wanted to know myself if it truly was or was not! I did not want to list my products as a cleanser if it in fact was not.

I was not trying to be nasty or anything just wanted to know too :confused:

the start of my listing was what do you mean its not a cleanser? That was a true question for a answer not saying you was wrong, its sometimes hard to express what to say by typing, sorry if it looked smart a%$

lol, no one was being hurtful to anyone i think it is just a little misunderstanding (the problem with the intrnet is we cannot see people's facial features so these things happen, anyway it is not important)

back to the subject i asked because i found a site that talked about making cream soap to use in the shower as liquid soaps were too drying.

Then i thought if it is a cream and you use it in the shower and it foams that is just like the FBB, but i did hear about the latter being drying, but the website claimed the cream soap was an answer to drying soaps...so i became confused. Also i do not like that i do not know half of the ingredients used in FBB

now my hand is itching to make some cream soap, but i will have to wait as the kinds of lye are needed...sigh...

Thanks everyone!

I absolutely love FBB. I don't find it drying at all... and I have VERY sensitive skin. I usually add a little more oil than what's called for... with no problems. The "extra" oil I use in it is Castor. Everyone that's tried it raves about it. It's hard for me to keep it in stock!

Now... using it on my face... that's another story... LOL DRIES THE CRAP OUTTA ME. No matter how much oil or what kind of oil I add.

I've heard a few people say it's drying. I've also experimented with adding a tad bit of body wash base to it. I find when I do this... it's MORE moisturizing.

I have some FBB and tried a 2 lb batch. I took some out and put it in a container before I played with other ingredients. I added a little SAO and sugar. My skin was so dry after 2 days of using it that I put it aside.

Can I take this batch and add oil or something to make it useful or should I scrap this batch and start again?

What can I had to make it more moisturizing? If I used butters, how do I do that? All I have seen is the recipe that calls for FBB, oil of choice and fragrance. Sugar can be used until saturated.

Is this basically what everyone goes by? If so, what kind of oil besides SAO is good? I don't want to waste my remaining 6 lbs so any info would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Thanks!!!!

Jami, I'm not sure about doing additional work on a batch that you've already whipped. It surely will collapse if overwhipped. However, if you're mainly wanting a scrub, that might not be so important. I'd go ahead and experiment with that batch by trying whatever oils you might have on hand.

I don't have my notebook here right now, but I've experimented with hemp, grapeseed, rbo, and olive. I've added shealoe at room temp and whipped it in. The basic instructions call for 2 oz of oils per lb, but I've added a little more at times along with a ton of sugar.