Hi, my name is Eve and I'm a....

Junkie....a fo junkie, that is.

I know you all keep telling me I need to decrease my fo%.

So, I took the plunge, so to speak, and I've lowered to 10%.

I am still having some throw issues with some oils. I use 4627, 2.75" diameter salsa jars (6 oz). The wicks that I have used are low smoke zinc 44-32-18, Eco 8 and RRD 47.

I know that I may have "plunge" even lower, say 8% or (G*d help me) 6%.

Now, it occurs to me, that with 50 different oils, and various wick types, that this is a lot of wax and a lot of candles.

So, I am wondering is there a method for this type of intense testing....Like, for example making small candles with approp sized wick at various % fo, and then say, removing/replacing wick, if throw is not satisfactory? Or do I just have to toss the whole candle and start over?

And is it safe to expect that if, for example, a small rrd threw the best in a small candle with a certain fo, that it will be the larger rrd (in the larger jar) that will do the trick?

Also, why is "curing" necessary? I did notice that with one of my candles (Black Vetyver Cafe) that didn't throw when I first made, after a few months passed it did throw. I guess it cured? Or maybe I had "candle nose" at the time? I would love to know the science behind this?

Sorry for the long question, but dammit, I want to figure this out.

Eve

Now, it occurs to me, that with 50 different oils, and various wick types, that this is a lot of wax and a lot of candles.

Most definitely! A lot of wax, a lot of candles, a lot of FO, a lot of wicks, a lot of time, add in the shipping cost and it's a lot of money! LOL! I am sure more advise is on it's way but here is my two cents. That is one of the reasons I would suggest starting off with fewer FO's to begin testing. Start on the lower end of your FO percentage for testing. I always start at 6%! I know it is difficult because it just seems that a higher amount would automatically produce a stronger throw. That isn't always the case, many times 6% is all you need to make a really good strong scent throw. There have been times in my testing that adding a higher percentage of FO actually decreased the throw. I start with 6% by weight, the amount of time I cure the candle depends on what type of wax I am using. For my nose:grin2: it takes about 1 week with most waxes. If I am not pleased I let the candle cure for a few more days or another week and test again. If it was obvious that the melt pool wasn't to my liking I simply switch out the wick using the same wax and try either a larger size or another type of wick.

Sometimes I use very small amounts of wax in several containers of the same size, using the same percentage of FO in each and cured for the same amount of time. If I am not pleased with the first wick in my testing and want to try a completely different type of wick or just a larger size I move on to the next tester or I do a side by side test comparison. I recently tested CD's, RRD's, LX, and HTP's side by side using the same percentage of FO in each container just to compare the melt pool of each. I make sure to test the burn several times, from top to very end! Many times a wick that looked like it wasn't going to melt all of the wax on the first burn will work out fine once the candle burns further down.

As for your question regarding the larger size RRD working in the larger container, sometimes yes and sometimes no. LOL! I have two containers in the same style and when I moved up in size the diameter increased to almost 4 inches. The larger size wick didn't give me a full melt pool. With the wax I was testing I ended up having to double wick with two smaller sizes. When I tested another type of wax one large wick worked fine. Also, the depth of the container will factor in your testing. When I moved up to the larger container not only did the diameter increase but so did the depth. One wick that I tested in the smaller size seemed to work fine(it just happened to be an RRD). However, in the larger size container the RRD produced more soot than the other wicks I tested once it burned past the middle of the container. Air flow into the container played a big part in that but other wicks didn't produce as much soot for this particular wax, using that FO, at the percentage tested.

Testing, takes a lot of time because there are so many variables in the results you achieve for each container type, FO's used, percentage used, wick, wax, testing environment(draft, no draft, room size/air circulation...), your sense of smell...

Start off small with a few FO's and work your way up. I am sure you will get a lot of helpful information and tips here. There are many different reasons for different methods of testing. You will soon work out one that is perfect for you. Good luck!

I had this idea.

Does it sound good?

I have these 3 oz pyrex containers (1.5 diameter and appx 2" high). I will weigh appx 2 oz wax and put in container. Then I will put the containers in pot of shallow water and melt the wax. I will then weigh out appx .15 oz fo and add(7.5%). I have a small latte mixer that I plan on using to mix in the oil (since the containers are small- 1.5 in diameter). I will then securely place in my low smoke zinc (votive size) wick. Cure for one week and then test in a small bathroom to check throw. BTW- I use 4627-does this wax require one week cure time? Why do candles need to be cured?

Now, if I get no throw. Did I understand you right when you say you switch out the wick? Do you actually remove it from the candle and slide in another wick? or do you remelt the wax, take out the wick and put another one in (say rrd or eco, for example). If so would you then cure for another week?

Sorry so many questions but I really do want to understand.

Now can I assume that if the small low smoke zinc works with a certain fo, that a larger one in a larger jar is a very strong possibility for a good throw (once the right size is figured out)?

TIA

Eve

I have never used 4627 wax so I can't help you with it,sorry. Cure time is different for different candle makers. Some test within 48 hours and are pleased with their results. My nose needs my wax to cure for longer before I detect a strong enough throw. That is just what suits me. I do have some FO's that give a strong enough throw within 3 days, others I find need longer. Especially if I am using soy wax.

It is possible that in a larger container the type of wick that worked for you in the smaller size may work in a larger. I would start there and see if you like the results. The reasons I gave in the example in my previous post may or may not contribute to you having to use a completely different type of wick. A heavier FO may require an even larger size wick or you may find once again that another type of wick works even better. The only way to know for sure is to test.

Eve! What are you doing to yourself???? Simplify girl! I use 4627 and reg zinc wicks with NO problems! If I were you I'd be pulling my hair out and selling all the stuff on the classies! Now, take a deep breath..........and PM me!:shocked2:

I am still having some throw issues with some oils.

Like, for example making small candles with approp sized wick at various % fo, and then say, removing/replacing wick, if throw is not satisfactory? Or do I just have to toss the whole candle and start over?

From the very first post I got the impression that you were trying to figure out why there is so much intense testing? So that is what I was trying to explain, why it is needed in some cases to clear up some of the problems that occur.

I cure for 3 days, more if I am not pleased but I ain't waiting around a month or more for any FO. :laugh2: Yes, I would start with the larger size in the zinc wicks you are using. If that doesn't work then you can move on to some of the other methods for testing.That is what I do, if I have to:wink2: You may not have to!!! There are times when testing different wick types and sizes are needed if you have a problem that you just can not solve by increasing your current wick size. Oh do I hate those times! The beanpod containers nearly bankrupted me with the all of the wax and wicks I tested!! They all started out burning almost perfect. Some place around the widest part of that darn tootin container disaster always struck.! You lucked out getting a candle mentor that uses the same wax as you do. Now if she uses the same FO's you have really struck gold!!!

No curing for 4627 at all. It's a great wax for hot and cold throw. I like Eve's name! It's the same as my little avatar grandaughter! Besides, I don't think we live anywhere near each other so why not help, I know it can be frustrating! I've been trying to test tins and the wicking is driving me crazy!

I wanted to mention that I normally just pop out my wick and use the same wax and stick in another wick if needed for a test. A very helpful person on the board told me that IF the first wick that was tested burned too hot it might be possible that the FO and wax burned too hot and when the second wick is tested it would appear that it has less scent throw until it burns past that layer. So some people like to start over with a new candle that hasn't been burned. I haven't done that because, well I am cheap! No, really it is because I hadn't thought of that being a problem. I may try that if I ever have to test new wicks. There are different ways of testing and it is very helpful to read all of the methods people use. Even my old brain learns something new all of the time! I have used wax in the past that didn't call for any curing but I always got better results after 3 days or longer. That is just my way of testing and what my sniffer requires. However, I have not tried the 4627. No or less cure time is always a plus in my book:grin2:

IndyGirl,

Love the photo of your granddaughter. She is just precious! Have you tried the Performa wicks in your tins? That is what someone suggested I try but I haven't gotten around to it yet. My tins got so hot that I got slightly nervous about them and haven't tried a new wick yet.

Thank you! She's my only one and I just love seeing her every day! I had not heard of the performa wicks! I'll have to try them before I throw all of my tins away! I usually never have to test if I stay with my regular jars......except with new oils but, generally, I usually get it right. It's when I try to use a different container that it gets time consuming. I can't wait to start pouring the fall and winter scents!!!!