Best Place to Start?

Hello,

I just joined this site about a week ago. I was awaiting the creation of my Presto converted wax melter, which is now complete. Many thanks to my wonderful hubby. I am sooooo ready to dive in and start creating my own candles. I am a candle junkie! Soooo... there are a few things I would like to ask. If this is already printed somewhere else, I am not finding it and all I need is simple direction.

1) What is the simplest wax to work with for newbies?

2) Is there anything else I REALLY should start with in the way of simple/learning/beginner type of things?

I am planning on ordering wax soon.

Have been reading up on things but it seems like people are using so many different forms of wax/gels/ect... I don't know where to begin with it.

Hello,

I am semi new also. One thing, I would suggest is make sure your presto pot does not leak. My did. Fill with water to see first but it can still leak with the wax in it, so make sure you have newspaper down.

Start with what u like. I love soy so that's what I am doing.

So far so good. I also purchased a embossing tool from a craft store to use and its wonderful for jars that have bubbles in them, takes them right out.

Good Luck!!

Thank you so much.

My presto pot has been sitting since last night with water. No leaks!

Helps that my husband is a Pipefitter by trade. ;)

Is the soy wax easy to work with?

What type/grade are you using.

There are sooooo many different types.

That is where I am at my biggest loss.

Exactally where and what did you order that you seem to be doing well with?

Thank you so much.

My presto pot has been sitting since last night with water. No leaks!

Helps that my husband is a Pipefitter by trade. ;)

Is the soy wax easy to work with?

What type/grade are you using.

There are sooooo many different types.

That is where I am at my biggest loss.

Exactally where and what did you order that you seem to be doing well with?

Your presto may not leak with water and still may leak with wax so put it on a cookie sheet before you melt your first batch (happened to me, nice pile on the counter!) As far as wax goes, decide what type you like best (soy, palm, parafin) and then I agree on the kit. It is a great starting point.

OK... I am ordering a couple of candel making kits from Peak.

I understand the vybar is already in the wax. Do I still need the steric or is that also included?

I do appreciate all of the assistance I am receiving here.

Thank you all so much!

~Shy~

If you are getting a votive kit from Peak, the 4794 wax has everything in it already. That is the wax I use (I order it by the case and I don't even sell yet) and it is a great wax. By the way, my hubby was a pipefitter years ago and converted one of my Presto pots for me, but I find it more time consuming to use when I only make 1 lb batches at a time. HTH

Valerie :)

I just planned to use soy. So that is what I started with and I ordered a kit from LS. Been working with it and have had very little problems. A couple of bubbles, but got those out. Pouring slower helped me that way. I know I was in a hurry to pour.

To me it is easy to work with and you don't need anything to add to it except dye and fragrance.

I have decided not to even add dye unless they special order a color.

Good luck with your kit!!:grin2:

I am sure it is.

The whole reason I wanted to make candles to begin with is because I am such a candle junkie. I probably have about 3 dozen candles sitting around my very small home at any given time. I am figuring it will be more cost effective to make my own. :grin2:

~Shy~

I am figuring it will be more cost effective to make my own. :grin2:

Now that is funny :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Where ever did you get the idea it was more cost effective to make your own. Trust me this hobby will lead to empty bank accounts and max out charge cards.

Althought the votives and tealights are a lot cheaper...

I generally spend about 10-15 dollars on a good container candle.

I generally end up getting between 1-3 of these alone per month.

I HAVE to be able to make one cheaper than that! No?

Or are you just saying that it is so addictive that I am digging my own hole? :confused: