Harvesting Lavender, Now What...

HeavenScentU

Thanks, Everyone for your ideas. I am going to make some bouquets wands, sachets, and drawer liners. I never thought about making the firestarters with the stems. That looks so cool. I already make heat wraps and love those. Hopefully I will be able to sell them all at the craft show next week. I am just afraid the heat and smoke filled air may keep the customers away....

My Lavender is little too. I planted 2 plants and they have grown a little, but I did not get much flower this year. My friend planted 1 plant last year and it is huge this year, maybe next year mine will be bigger. I have watered it well and not fertilized, maybe I should have.

I am wondering if one variety of Lavender is better than another for collecting and fragrance?

here in MN i planted a little plant a few years ago. i covered it over winter and trimmed back the dead growth in the spring. big mistake! because that following winter i didn't cover it and didn't cut back the dead growth and it grew new growth on the old and the old turned green too and after 3 years, it's a good 3' diameter plant with tons of blooms!

I have no idea how to make sure you can get a good crop of lavender. We just water them everyday. We did add some manure in the beds but other than that nothing has been added. We don't use pesticides because of our two dogs. I looked at our tags and some say Provence Lavender, Blue Cushion Lavender, & English lavender. It seems like last year our lavender didn't do so well as this year and I am so happy that we finally got a great crop, so I am grabbing every little tiny bud I can. In my area it is like a desert, very dry and hot. I have the lavender drying on old window screens. If I have any extra lavender left I will be sure and put it in the classifieds. :grin2:

• 1 month later...
I have no idea how to make sure you can get a good crop of lavender. We just water them everyday. We did add some manure in the beds but other than that nothing has been added. We don't use pesticides because of our two dogs. I looked at our tags and some say Provence Lavender, Blue Cushion Lavender, & English lavender. It seems like last year our lavender didn't do so well as this year and I am so happy that we finally got a great crop, so I am grabbing every little tiny bud I can. In my area it is like a desert, very dry and hot. I have the lavender drying on old window screens. If I have any extra lavender left I will be sure and put it in the classifieds. :grin2:

I gotta ask because I was told this by someone. Do you have little baby plants around the bottom of the parent plants? I was told in the fall you should have baby plants that you can move to have even more crop for the next year..