Relief holes in Palm Wax

• 2 weeks later...

I make pillars with 2 of the Palm Waxes from CS and I do not make poke holes. CS said it was not necessary and I don't have to do a second pour. It's one of the easiest waxes to work with. I love them. Have fun!

Grama...how are you doing? I started the Palms after you said how much fun you had with them. I love them. I have all but one of them and CS has 2 containers on the way in with the other one. Which one do you like the best? I think I like the Sunburst...or is it Starburst..the best.

I not only make relief holes, I keep all but about 1/4" around the outside edge open until the candle has set up to the point that it will not allow any more "relief" poking. Perhaps CS's palm wax doesn't shrink much as it crystallizes, but the IGI that I use certainly does! This manufacturer (who sells their product to one of the suppliers from whom I purchase palm wax) recommends constantly "stirring" the candle "to remove air-trap during crystallization." Once there is a "skin" over the top (bottom) of the pillar, air bubbles cannot escape - sometimes you can see the bubbles just under the surface, like air bubbles under thin ice. Many of us have experienced a pillar "caving in" or developing a dent, as the candle crystallizes and shrinks if we do not poke relief holes.

Generally I do not have to repour because I have to insert the wick and smooth the bottom anyway. Many folks, however, do not make any kind of relief holes and seem to be happy with their results. To me, it's cheap insurance. The BEST way to tell if you need to make relief holes with YOUR wax is to sacrifice a pillar, cut it in half lengthwise and see what the inside really looks like. HTH ;)

I have not made pillars yet with CS palm wax but all I know is that every container that I make CS palm wax gets sink holes so I have not decided if I want to deal with this or not, was hoping the pillars would be different! :rolleyes2

I to use feather palm from CS. I need to poke relief holes in mine, next time I make them. I noticed that while trying to level the bottom. I kept going smaller and smaller until I noticed what appeared to be tunnels of space. I cut it open and it had tunnels of space. I havent retried in a while. So after I pour when do I poke holes?? I pour at 190 so should the second pour be at 200?? Any help would be great. I also just got the starburst. What beautiful votives it made. I LOVE all the CS palm

Hi Rae - it is fun and I love the palm wax. I think my favorite for containers is the Glass Glow. It always sets up perfect, no sink holes and no need to repour. As far as the pillar wax the Feather is the easiest to get to guess you would say set up on the bottom without having to do a repour. I do poke holes in the feather and then to fill the holes I just use the wax I have shaved off the bottom from leveling it and then do a quick heat gun to melt in the holes and it works great. The container frost is OK it just does not cool and have as smooth a top as the glass glow. The starburst is real pretty, but there again it needs more bottom work than the feather. jmo:grin2:

So after I pour when do I poke holes??
As soon as the top "skins" over. Keep the holes open as long as the cooling candle will allow. Second pours to fill the relief holes will often fail, especially if the holes are deep because palm wax goes from liquid to solid very quickly! It solidifies before it reaches the bottom of the relief hole. HTH :D