DeJae

Ok, if some one gives me percentages for a formular

say

30% This

25% That

15% Something else

30% Other

When I plug that into soap calc and then want it to be for a 4# mold

at the top at total oil weight, do I click on pounds and put it like 3.25 # as to let there be room for the Lye and water get added to total 4#?

I figured if I put total oil weight as 4# then the water/lye mix will put it at 5 or so.

soapcalc only deals with the weight of the oils when calculating batch size in that box. so yea, you will need to either know the oils capacity of your mold ( L x W x H x 0.4 = oz of oils) or fiddle around with adding the oils amount to the water amount.

SOME mold manufacturers define the volume of their mold by the total amount of material (oils + lye + water) it will hold.

OTHERS define mold size by the amount of oils only.

I personally like to work with the volume by oils only. You can determine that yourself by measuring the inside of your mold. Length X width X height X 0.4 will give you the approximate ounces of oils that the mold will hold once mixed with water & lye.

SOME mold manufacturers define the volume of their mold by the total amount of material (oils + lye + water) it will hold.

OTHERS define mold size by the amount of oils only.

I personally like to work with the volume by oils only. You can determine that yourself by measuring the inside of your mold. Length X width X height X 0.4 will give you the approximate ounces of oils that the mold will hold once mixed with water & lye.

The current recipe I was using was total 64 ounces with water and lye and fits nicely in my molds.

So I kind of figured I need to plug into the SoapCal approximately 3.25 ounces for the oils because the lye/water will bring it back up to the 4#

The current recipe I was using was total 64 ounces with water and lye and fits nicely in my molds.

If you already have a recipe that you know fits the mold in question, why wouldn't you just use the same amount of oils for the new formula?

Assuming that you know what your mold holds, it's easy to then take the percentages and get amounts.

For this 'example' I'll assume your mold holds 4 lbs of OILS. Since we're working with ounces, that's 64 oz total.

30% Olive

20% Coconut

20% Palm

10% Cocoa Butter

5% Castor

15% Rice Bran Oil

Olive Oil - 64 X 0.3 = 19.2 oz

Coconut - 64 x 0.2 = 12.8 oz

....and basically follow that math till you have everything.

HTH!!!