Beanpod Revisited

Kymber

I stopped into a store yesterday and they had Beanpod candles. I had never really paid attention to them but they had one burning so I stopped to look and smell. Really couldn't smell it but what totally amazed me is the candle was burned almost to the bottom of the jar and it had 1/4-1/2" of wax left on the sides all the way from the top of the candle to the bottom where it was burned to. Is this the norm for this brand?? I was shocked!! Had never seen that bad of a burn in my life! And they sell them this way.....and are also a huge company?? I didn't even look what scent this one was....I think I was concentrating too hard on not letting my jaw hit the floor to pay attention to the other details of the candle. LOL

I haven't bought one, but one of the gift shops on the boardwalk sells tons of them. They always have one burning in there cause they burn anything that gets chipped during shipping, and from what I've seen (and not smelled) it's about the same. I chat with one of the girls in there when I go by cause I taught her a million years ago, and she says that the candles are their top sellers. They do make a pretty display. But, the candles they are burning or have burned on the counter have tons of hangup and even more soot on the jar.

I did buy some of those "pellets" once and found them to be duds. Guess they've got some hellacious marketing going on for them.

I haven't bought one, but one of the gift shops on the boardwalk sells tons of them. They always have one burning in there cause they burn anything that gets chipped during shipping, and from what I've seen (and not smelled) it's about the same. I chat with one of the girls in there when I go by cause I taught her a million years ago, and she says that the candles are their top sellers. They do make a pretty display. But, the candles they are burning or have burned on the counter have tons of hangup and even more soot on the jar.

I did buy some of those "pellets" once and found them to be duds. Guess they've got some hellacious marketing going on for them.

They got something going on for them and it sure isn't a great burning or great smelling candle.....maybe it's their cute name? I would be embarrassed to put my name on something that burned like that! The shock still hasn't wore off. I guess I need to get out more....LOL

It amazes me how little tolerance I now have for a poor burning, smelling candle. I never really had given it much thought until I started making them myself. And now that I know how a candle should and shouldn't behave, I just can't believe some of the shoddy National Brand candles that you can buy.

Not saying that all commercial candles are bad, but it certainly sheds a new light on things when you understand the mechanics of a good candle. I think this is why so many of the big names do well, most people who don't make them don't understand that it shouldn't tunnel, or leave 1/2" of wax on the sides as it burns, and that you should be able to smell it burning, not just when you are standing over it with your nose stuck in the jar.

So many people are Brand crazy too, my sister being one of them, they figure if it's a popular brand, it has to be good, even if it's not.

Many people probably have no idea how a candle should burn. Till I started coming here a few months ago, I had no idea that a votive shouldn't burn a hole down the middle and leave behind a mess. I had one of my votives burning in our shop one day, and one of our partners told me there was something wrong with my candle: the top was completely liquid, and she also "knew" that votives were supposed to burn a hole down the middle.

Many people probably have no idea how a candle should burn.
You're right about that. When I tell people you're supposed to be able to smell it when it's burning, and that it should consume all (or nearly all) of the wax without leaving a huge chunk behind, they are astonished. In fact my grandma used to save all these leftover chunks and use them as a pin cushion.

It's life little pleasures, when you experience something for yourself. It's kind of funny, that now I go into a place of Business and run straight to the candle section. Not, to purchase, but to see the big Wheels product. And, not to knock them (well not to bad). Some are awful looking. :shocked2: No Cold Throw, separation from the jars, and bubbles. That's another reason why, I love CT:yay: . Before finding you-all, I thought a Candle was just a Candle, used, for when the lights went out. But, now I know better. Test, test, and test some more . :grin2:

Che65