CSN 16 Wick Too Small For My 3" Status Jar With Palm Wax

CS recommends I use a CSN 14, but I had a feeling it wasn't going to work, so I wicked my 3" status jars with a CSN 16. The CSN 16 is the biggest CSN that CandleScience carries. I need to wick up, but what would I wick up to in my jar using frost palm wax? What would be bigger than the CSN 16?

Here are some pics after a few hours of burn:

badwick2.jpg

badwick.jpg

badwick3.jpg

I used a CD20 in mine (a tad over 3" diam) but it took 3 burns at 4 hours each to even start cleaning the sides and the candle is almost 1/2 gone. My soy candles last much longer so I'm thinking this is just burning too hot. I haven't tried the CSN wicks because I got my palm from another supplier and the CSN are only avail at CS (at least that's the only place I've seen them.) My first burn looked very similar to your pic.

I am trying a test burn now with ECO 12.I have a 3 inch diameter.Its been lite for an hour, I will let you know how it burns. ECOs are reccomended for natural wax so I thought Id try them before making yet another purchase.

I have only tested one scent with an Eco and it was Birds of Paradise. I used an 8 oz square mason jar, Eco-10, and 8 oz of icicle wax from DPSwax.com and 0.5 oz FO. It is burning well. I can't take a pic because it is at the office but the square mason is three inches across and I have heard on the straight sided you usually need to wick up So a 12 might work. Let us know.

How much FO did you put in the candle? This could have a bearing on how it is burning... You might try pouring one without FO to see what wick is needed, then wick up/down from there according to how it performs when you add FO.

Palm wax tunnels badly if it is lit & relit before it attains its maximum melt pool. It is characteristic of palm wax to make a shell because there is very little time/temperature between when the wax is liquid and when it solidifies. It's virtually never soft... It takes a lot longer for jar hangups to melt than it does for soy. Sometimes they will not simply because there is not enough heat to make the sides liquify. HTH :)

OK, here it is results are in. In two 3 inch jars I used I ounce Fragrance (Cocconut) to I pound glass glow. EXCELLANT hot and cold throw. It burned really nice. It did leave a very thin layer around the sides on the jar. Some people would like this because they never loose the beauty of the wax. The other (same jar) 1 ounce (Stormwatch) to 1 pound glass glow. OUTSTANDING scent throw. It was like I was melting tarts. Thats how stong the throw was. Evryone commented. I had a great burn at all stages and nothing was left on my jar. I liked using the ECO 12. I still have more to test.

OK, here it is results are in. In two 3 inch jars I used I ounce Fragrance (Cocconut) to I pound glass glow. EXCELLANT hot and cold throw. It burned really nice. It did leave a very thin layer around the sides on the jar. Some people would like this because they never loose the beauty of the wax. The other (same jar) 1 ounce (Stormwatch) to 1 pound glass glow. OUTSTANDING scent throw. It was like I was melting tarts. Thats how stong the throw was. Evryone commented. I had a great burn at all stages and nothing was left on my jar. I liked using the ECO 12. I still have more to test.

Thanks so much. I will try out the ECO 12 as well :-)

I have wicked this jar a couple of times with the Glass Glow and a CSN 14 burned great. Near the end there was only a slight bit of wax hang up on one side near the bottom of the container. To me that is a great burn with the palm. Even if it leaves a very thin layer I am OK with it. I do try to wick it for a clean jar but I have found that if I wick up I get soot near the end of the burn.

I have also found the CSN wicks to work the best in the Palm wax. I tried RRD's and LX's but the flames were torches, especially in single wicking.

Also, the CS frosted palm has a lower melt point than the GG so it should not require as large of a wick. I would try using 4-5% FO and a CSN 14 and see what happens.

If you want to double wick I would try 2-CSN 7's or 9's.

I need to start testing the Glass Glow again. I have just been trying to get my fall line ready and soy is my primary now. I do love the Glass GLow and think that it will sell very well once I have time to test more scents and containers.

Good Luck!

Hello,

Something else to think about :) Have you tried a CDN wick? They were actually made for stearic acid candles. They are basically the same wick as the CD (made for paraffin) but with a different end treatment so they can stand up to the more acidic nature of palm waxes. In a 3" container I would need about a base wick (wax only-no scent, dye or additives) of a CDN16.

Also, I am wondering how long you burned your candle for the first couple of burns? For every hour of diameter it should be about an inch of diameter that it burns out. Also, I don't ever expect my containers to burn all of the way to the edges until they are about an inch down. Otherwise they become torches when they reach the bottom. Granted these expectations are for paraffin and soy in a container that is at least 3" deep and the palm is harder so it will be a bit different.

Lyschel